If you’re looking for a true London experience, it doesn’t get more authentic than a stay in Soho, the city’s thriving centre for arts, culture, shopping and food. It manages to remain urban and gritty while also being home to some of the most upmarket hotels in the capital. On your next visit, book into one of these boutique hotels in the heart and soul of Soho – unique, characterful and brimming with style.
Solo travellers often have to pay more for a double room or squeeze into a dorm with strangers. However, Mimi’s offers single rooms at reasonable rates in the heart of Soho. While the velvet curtains and wood panelling make the place feel like a private member’s club, the friendly staff will make you feel instantly at home. However long you’re staying, make sure you head down to Henson’s – a cosy, low-lit bar offering craft cocktails.
Once home to an 18th-century writer, the eponymous Hazlitt’s Hotel is something of a Soho institution. Once you step inside, you’d never guess the hotel was right in the middle of the city. The library and bedrooms are truly peaceful, and modern minimalism is waived in favour of old-fashioned charm. Snuggle up in front of the drawing room fire with the resident cat, or explore the extensive collection of signed first editions in the library with a drink from the honesty bar in hand. Each of the bedrooms has been uniquely decorated, with some featuring a sumptuous four-poster bed, velvet armchairs and a roll-top bath. It’s a perfect spot for a winter stay.
Since Soho is home to some of the best cinemas and theatres in the city, it’s only fitting that the Soho Hotel should have its own screening rooms and film club. The country-chic rooms – kitsch fabrics in bold colours and plenty of natural light – come in a good range of sizes, and the lounge bar downstairs has an excellent menu of devilishly delicious cocktails and a great selection of vegan and vegetarian food.
Shearling throws, mahogany beds and a neutral colour scheme all give the Nadler Soho a real city-slicker vibe without breaking the bank. Rooms range from singles to suites, and each comes with its own kitchenette, which is ideal if you’re looking to cut down costs. If you’re up and out early, the hotel team will put together a packed breakfast for you, but it’s also worth setting a morning aside to relax over a leisurely brunch at neighbouring Scarlett Green.
Part of the Soho House Group, Kettner’s is a cool and quirky hotel, but welcoming enough to feel like the apartment of an uber-fashionable friend. From the plush velvet furnishings to the clashing prints and perfectly positioned table lamps, it’s the kind of style you can’t quite put your finger on but wish you could copy. If you book into a medium room or a suite, you’ll be rewarded with ample space and a roll-top bathtub.
The London EDITION sits just barely outside Soho (in neighbouring Fitzrovia), but once inside you’ll be hard-pressed to find a reason to leave the ground floor. It’s home to one of London’s most impressive lobby bars and an award-winning restaurant (Jason Atherton’s Berners Tavern), with everything you need for a decadent night of wining and dining. Rooms are finished with sleek furniture and smooth colours, though the stucco ceilings, large sash windows and grand staircase reveal glimpses of the building’s 19th-century glamour. The crowd that gathers here is effortlessly stylish, and it’s a perfect midtown spot for exploring the heart of the city.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.