Since the Young British Artists blazed a trail in the nineties Shoreditch has earned the title as the hippest place in London to find emerging creative talent. The skyscrapers might have gone up in recent years, but the area has maintained an exciting mix of grass roots artist-run spaces and glossier, well-established galleries. Here’s our picks for the best places to visit in the area.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Iniva (Institute of International Visual Arts)
This institute is dedicated to broadening cultural histories, in order to preserve the legacies of British artists of predominantly Black or Asian descent and help marginalised artistic communities gain the recognition they deserve. It was instrumental in the early careers of famous contemporary artists such as Yinka Shonibare MBE, Steve McQueen, Idris Khan and Sonia Boyce. It also contains the Stuart Hall library, named after the pioneering academic who founded the organisation in 1994. As well as offering resources for researchers, artists and cultural producers, Inviva also presents temporary exhibitions in its ground floor space and artist residencies, imbedded in research conducted in the library.
As one of the pioneering galleries to set up shop in Shoreditch at the dawn of the new millennium, Kate MacGarry has been at the forefront of new talent since its original inception on Redchurch Street before moving to the current location just down the road. The gallery represents a number of artists who work in a variety of media, including acclaimed video artist Ben Rivers and the performance-fine art duo Chicks on Speed.
More than just a cinema, Rich Mix is also dedicated to showing the broad range of arts and culture that the area has to offer. It shows wall-based works as well as organising screenings of art films and shorts, as well as workshops and performances. Most of these activities take place in the Mezzanine Gallery, although they can also spill over into the main spaces, making sure film fans also receive an added dose of visual culture.
This not-for-profit foundation is dedicated to bringing art from the New East (eastern Europe, the Balkans, Central Asia and Russia) to the attention of a UK audience. The headquarters just off of Arnold Circus presents talks, events and exhibitions that engage with historical movements, architecture, design, film and photography.
This enormous 2,500 space has been converted from the old railway arches that flank the nearby Hoxton station. It is a for-hire space that is popular with art college degree shows, print sales and performers.
Redchurch Street was still unchartered territory when this artist-run, not-for-profit space was set up in 2003. Its unassuming, graffitied doorway is suitable camouflage for a gallery who places emphasis on pure artistic integrity. The studio has an extremely international outlook with sister galleries in the Netherlands, Brazil and Croatia.
Hundred Years Gallery
With a focus on showcasing unrepresented, young artists, Hundred Years Gallery highlights the experimental, and often publishes open calls for group exhibitions. As well as visual arts, the gallery has a sizeable music programme, hosting concerts on a weekly basis.
This co-operative gallery is run by artist members dedicated to supporting the local artistic community, in a large space just moments from the top of Brick Lane. The rapidly-changing programme focuses on collaborative exhibitions.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.