Contemporary artist and painter Marcus Aitken, recently named as one of Saatchi Arts’s top 20 artists to watch in 2020, calls South London his home. From cool contemporary art spaces to vintage markets, Aitken speaks to Charlotte Peet about his life and work, and offers his tips for the best spots to explore in South London.
Marcus Aitken is a South-London based contemporary artist, painter, musician and design enthusiast, living and working in Tulse Hill. He may not be a London native but he maintains that his heart, spirit and inspirations are here. He grew up on Portugal’s Algarve coast, but is no newcomer to London’s artistic scene, having spent the latter half of his adult life in South London’s creative corners.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Much as Aitken’s creative process has evolved and blossomed over the years, so has his love for this complex city. “When I first came to London I didn’t get it, I thought, what’s all the hype about? It’s a city that I think takes time to understand and I’m still figuring it out, but I love it.” It’s the close-knit community of South London that Aitken values the most, where he feels his home offers him the freedom to pursue his creativity and fully express himself.
Aitken cites one of the city’s many beautiful parks as a favourite retreat. “Crystal Palace Park is my favourite park in London, largely due to it having so much to offer.” Aitken says. “The dinosaurs [pictured above] are actually listed as Grade II buildings now and have their own conservation team.” He continues, “People always say ‘It’s a great place to take your kids’, but it’s awesome for adults too! If you grew up watching Jurassic Park, you’ll feel nostalgic when you see them up close.”
Mere footsteps from Marcus’s home in Crystal Palace is Haynes Lane Market, just a short bus ride away from Crystal Palace bus station. “It’s full to the brim with everything you can imagine: vintage toys, antiques, furniture, clothes, records… Everyone selling has been there for years and it’s a unique collection of things,” Aitken says. This is the kind of place where you can grab a unique item that you can treasure for years. “While you are there, the market continues outside with local food sellers offering all sorts of goodies.”
While the weather can often be a bit temperamental in England’s capital city, there is no shortage of museums to visit. The Horniman is one of Aitken’s favourites. “If you don’t like taxidermy, don’t go… no. But they have it all here – musical instruments through the ages, an aquarium, live bees, a farm, beautiful gardens and not to mention a weekend market. You’ll never get bored.”
Speaking of never getting bored, if you happen to be in South London and are heading to a party (as a side hobby, Aitken is renowned for hosting some of the best fancy dress parties in town) then Prangsta is your place. “Everything is bespoke, appointment-only, but sometimes they accept walk-ins.”
Head north-west from Prangsta and you’re just a short walk from Goldsmiths Centre for Contemporary Arts. “This place is one of the hottest new gallery spaces in London,” Aitken says. “If I’m in need of some fresh inspiration for my work, then this is where I naturally head. I went to Mika Rottenberg’s gallery opening show there, which was brilliant, and have been to every show since – always different and always interesting.”
London is riding a new wave of sustainability in which vintage is king. Aitken explains, “Vintage goods have become very popular in recent years, from clothing to furniture, and I’m often shocked at what people are selling these items for.” Letting us into a little secret, he explains that you can find great gems for next to nothing at Deptford Market. “Oh, and whilst you’re there, check out Deptford Cinema, which is community-run. If you’re lucky, you might catch an art show or live-music performance there, too.”
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.