Tip your top hat to this smartly suited stay in one of London’s swankiest ‘hoods, trimmed with smart shops and envelope-pushing art galleries.
Mayfair is the epitome of luxury: just consult your Monopoly board. Situated where Hyde Park ends and Soho begins, it attracts the world’s rich and famous with its gorgeous Georgian architecture and high-end shopping along suit-bearing Savile Row. But it wasn’t always so: Renaissance-era “May Fair” was allegedly so raucous, it was deemed a public nuisance. And today, in a neighbourhood that’s also home to old-school hotels such as Claridge’s and the Ritz, the 21st-century opening of the Beaumont is shaking up the scene once again.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Step inside the varnished lobby of this Grade II-listed 1926 building and you’d never know it began life as, ahem, a car park for the wealthy customers of nearby Selfridges. Understated rooms and silk-draped suites house original mid-century artwork, hand-picked books and toasty underfloor-heated bathrooms. Book the showpiece ROOM by Antony Gormley to experience the sculptor’s take on a superlative hotel suite. But before you dive into your cloud-like bed, stop by Le Magritte Bar for a sensual, smoky Empire of Light cocktail or treat your ears to live music in Gatsby’s Room, which hums with Jazz Age elegance.
Leave your worries in the changing rooms of the Beaumont’s subterranean spa and cross the white marble threshold into a world of warmth. Settle into the sauna or steam room and complete the Scandi-style circuit with a rapid dip in the plunge pool. Or maybe you’d prefer a hammam ritual, which begins with a cleansing full-body wash with Moroccan black soap, followed by an exfoliation and a massage using melted shea butter. Found a hair out of place? Towel off and stop into the hotel hairdressers before greeting the city.
Some days, you just need fresh air. Enter, Hyde Park – the largest Royal Park in London – where locals like to loll about and drink in the heady heights of summer. Explore 350 acres (142ha) of perfectly landscaped greenery shaped by kings and queens, such as Queen Caroline who transformed it into the public haven it is today and created the centrepiece Serpentine lake. Row, paddle or swim, or take a seat on the UK’s first solar-powered boat: it’s a 20-minute stroll from the Beaumont, passing by pods of park-dwellers and picnickers.
Foodies, rejoice: the hottest street-food market in Mayfair is here. Housed in a deconsecrated church, the naves, altars and even pulpits of old St Mark’s are filled with snack peddlers and stomach-summoning aromas of all sorts. Tear into tender rotisserie chicken and wash it down with a German beer or a herbaceous G&T. In the summer, you’ll love looking out over Mayfair from the roof garden. In winter, cosy up with free live music in the crypt-converted wine cellar.
If the Beaumont has you in a F Scott Fitzgerald kind of mood, pay Jay Gatsby the honour of attending his “little party” at 56 Davies Street. This immersive theatre show puts you in the pages of the classic novel, where you’ll drink strong liquor that laughs in the face of Prohibition, lose your breath to trumpet-heavy Charleston tunes and chat to the characters in a swinging setting. Snappy suits and flapper dresses welcome.
Mayfair might be known for its exclusivity, but talked-about contemporary art gallery UNIT is determined to break down those barriers. Founded by two young artists, UNIT gives emerging artists a platform to explore and express their creative identities. From dynamic Neo-Surrealism to international portraiture, what’s in the frame at UNIT never fails to surprise.
Fancy yourself a Victorian explorer? Fulfil that dream with a drink in hand at this old Jules Verne-themed townhouse-cum-cocktail bar, where the walls are scattered with novel references to Around the World in Eighty Days, including a hot-air balloon on the ceiling to remind you of Phileas Fogg’s dramatic escape from Paris. Better still, your libation honours a 19th-century great: for instance, an inspired combo of Jagermeister, oolong tea and Scotch whisky pays tribute to Prince Albert.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.