In the tech startup world, most businesses’ ability to survive hinges on investment. Being picked up by a successful venture capital firm is a major goal for many of these companies, and while investment can come from anywhere in the world, London-based firms understandably carry a premium. But as there are many different types of startups working at different levels of business maturity, the variety of investment is equally diverse. In this article, we look at the firms which invest in more mature businesses, ones which have demonstrated that they have an idea that will fly, but who need the financial support to really make a splash.
Scottish Equity Partners
Managing around $1bn in investments, Scottish Equity Partners has one of the most impressive track records for a firm of its kind in Europe. Typically choosing investments in some of the best technology firms around, they make equity investments of around $10-20 million. Their most recognisable investment to consumers might be Skyscanner which they recently exited for about $1 billion.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Specialising in fintech startups, growth, and late-stage businesses, Augmentum Capital is well established in its field. The firm’s normal level of investment is between £3 million and £10 million and typically that will go towards companies which work in trading, lending and crowdfunding.
Though not the biggest fund with around £185 million under management, Connection Capital’s portfolio includes some of the more recognisable brand names on this list. Wagamama, PureGym and Virgin Wines are just three which demonstrate what these venture capitalists are after. They will only take on established clients who are already turning a profit, who want to expand their businesses in other areas.
Dropbox, Deliveroo, Just Eat and Slack: these are just four companies in which Index Ventures have a stake and which are all on the verge of becoming household names. While their portfolio is spread over a number of industries, their recent ventures have increasingly ventured into the fast-growth technology markets and with this move, Index Ventures has demonstrated its continuing pedigree. Founded in 1996 in Geneva, Index Ventures is based between London and San Francisco and over 35,000 people are employed within its group of companies.
With over £100 million invested in the past year, Octopus Ventures, with a tentacle in many of the tech firms shooting to prominence in the past decade or so, is a big player indeed. A whopping $1.3 billion is currently under management in companies like Zoopla, YPlan and exciting new music concert platform Sofar Sounds. Having previously been big in healthcare and energy, the Octopus clearly has its eyes set on pastures new and technological.
As the largest Series A focused European venture capital firm, Balderton Capital is a name that carries weight. If you’ve sold clothes on Depop, got your holiday money through Revolut or looked up your old uni on the Tab, you have come into contact Balderton’s investments, whether you knew it or not. Their big ambition is to nurture the next technology giant, which they believe will be European, to rival the likes of Google, Apple, Facebook and Amazon.
Pushing to get involved in the technology market, Arts Alliance has been heavily investing in companies like Shazam, MyTutor and BlinkBox over the years. Over 40 companies have received investment since the fund began in 1996 and Norwegian founder Thomas Høegh, an artist turned businessman, has built his reputation on growing high-tech, creative companies throughout Europe.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.