Situated in the heart of London, Covent Garden is a shopping and theatre district popular with locals and tourists alike. The site of a thriving market since the 17th century, the area is now home to street performers, designer stores and some of the West End’s best entertainment. This is our guide to 24 hours in the area.
Start in Covent Garden Piazza
Kick off your day at the pedestrianised cobblestone square of Covent Garden Piazza, where talented street performers can be found entertaining the crowds. Take in the handsome columns of St Paul’s Church, dominating the western side of the square, before heading into the Market Building opposite. Built in 1830 to house the food and flower traders who had established a popular trade in the area, the Neoclassical building is the heart of Covent Garden today, filled with food and craft stalls as well as high-end boutiques.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Peruse independent and big-name shops
Shoppers are spoilt for choice in Covent Garden, with boutique and high street retailers, including the beautifully-designed, three-storey Apple store, surrounding the piazza. For more options, head to nearby Floral Street, which boasts an impressive selection of menswear labels including the British designer Paul Smith’s flagship store.
Appreciate the arts at the Royal Opera House
Fans of the arts can’t miss London’s Royal Opera House, taking up a corner of the Covent Garden Piazza (though the main entrance can be found on nearby Bow Street). The world-class theatre is home to the Royal Ballet, the Royal Opera and the ROH Orchestra. Tickets for guided backstage tours and Royal Opera and Royal Ballet performances need to be booked in advance, but the building itself is open during the day to the general public. The Paul Hamlyn Champagne Bar, inside the Opera House, is the perfect spot to enjoy a midday refreshment and soak up the regal atmosphere.
Lunch on traditional British fare
For lunch, head to the trendy but sophisticated Holborn Dining Room for traditional British cuisine with a twist. Complete your afternoon with a pint at The Lamb & Flag, a historic 18th-century pub that was a favourite watering hole of Charles Dickens. If you’re in the mood for something more upscale, go celeb-spotting at The Ivy, a London institution favoured by A-list clientele and theatre-goers.
Visit the London Transport Museum
The London Transport Museum offers a fascinating insight into the history of London’s public transport system, one of the oldest in the world, and its link to the city’s growth and cultural development. Children get free admission, and adult tickets are £16 when purchased online in advance.
Discover St Martin’s Courtyard, Neal’s Yard and Seven Dials
Stroll through St Martin’s Courtyard, a beautifully-designed, open-air shopping lane, and then head down Neal Street and turn into Shorts Gardens to discover Neal’s Yard – a brightly-coloured, tucked-away courtyard with shops and restaurants. Pop into the original Neal’s Yard Dairy for tasty cheeses, and Neal’s Yard Remedies for organic skincare.
Head up the road to Seven Dials, a historic intersection of seven streets. Each spoke of the dial offers its own charms, from quirky jeweller Tatty Devine, unusual shoes at Poste Mistress, sweet treats at Cybercandy, sci-fi megastore Forbidden Planet and the Moomin Shop. Finish the day at The Barbary, one of our top London restaurants, with a stunning menu that reflects the former Barbary Coast (Morocco, Algeria, Libya and Tunisia).
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.