London is one of the great culinary capitals of the world, overflowing with delicious eateries serving up grub from across the globe. High-end restaurants rub shoulders with old-school greasy spoons and artisanal goodies sit alongside traditional treats. To celebrate the best bits of the London food scene, Culture Trip has teamed up with British Airways, the nation’s flag carrier, to lead you on a culinary adventure. With convenient flight times to centrally located airports, you’ll get more time to spend exploring.
Since opening two years ago, The Barbary has remained one of the best, and most popular, restaurants in London. Hungry diners patiently wait each night for one of the 24 bar seats to sample the delicious Barbary Coast-inspired small plates. The seasonal menu is always full of unique and memorable flavour combinations and you’ll want to try everything. If you can’t face the wait at dinner (although, trust us, it’s worth it), The Barbary now takes bookings for lunch.
If you’re looking for a truly picturesque dining spot, you won’t find anywhere prettier than Petersham Nurseries in genteel Richmond upon Thames. The tea room, perfect for a spot of afternoon tea and cake, and the café are nestled within the verdant splendour of the nursery and glasshouse, so you can eat surrounded by sweet-smelling jasmine, luscious foliage and antique furniture. If you feel inspired to bring some greenery home, pay a visit to the shop to pick up tasteful homeware, gardening tools, plants and flowers.
After being derelict for 15 years, the Edwardian ticket hall at Fulham Broadway station has been transformed into a foodie must-see. The details of the original 1880 station have been preserved and now it’s home to nine food traders, a deli and a coffee shop. There is also a bar that serves British craft beers and spirits from the station’s old ticket booths. The food on offer is from some of London’s finest independent eateries including Butchies fried chicken, Yard Sale stone-baked pizza, Hot Box barbecue and Fanny’s kebabs. This is the excuse to try all of them in one evening.
Forget fighting through the weekend crowds at Borough Market. Instead, stroll over to Maltby Street arches in Bermondsey, where you’ll find some of the tastiest street food in town, all packed into a buzzy little passage under the railway line. Whatever you fancy to eat, you’ll find it here. Once you’re done munching your way through the street food stalls, head over to the Little Bird Gin arch and settle in for an afternoon of cocktails, people-watching and digesting.
Plan your trip to London
Looking for flights or a great flight and hotel deal for your foodie tour of London? Check out British Airways for convenient flight options and carefully selected hotels in the heart of London to combine and save. Book your trip now with the nation’s flag carrier.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Treat yourself to a stay at a foodie hotel like the Waldorf Hilton. Its restaurant, Homage, is perfect for elegant, grand-salon dining and is famous for the British institution of afternoon tea, served Tuesday to Friday at 1.30pm and Saturday to Monday at 1pm. Alongside its food and drink credentials, the renowned Waldorf Hilton offers good-value grandeur in an enviable location. Set on The Strand, the hotel has Theatreland and Covent Garden (home of The Barbary) just up the road, and the rest of London’s biggest sights are within a one-mile radius. Considering this location, the Waldorf Hilton is great value, but if you’re looking for another well-located mid-range hotel, try The Tower, a Guoman Hotel, or, for central London on a budget, the Royal National.
This branded content article was published as part of a commercial campaign that has now ended.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.