With its famous markets, a remarkable collection of new and newish breweries and an increasing number of restaurants creeping onto the hit lists of the food-obsessed, South East London has firmly earned its credentials as an epicurean attraction in the capital. Spend a weekend touring the area by train to discover the old guard who’ve made it great and the new kids who’re making it brilliant.
Anchoring the foodie scene in South East London is M Manze, a pie and mash shop on Tower Bridge Road as culturally significant as the bridge itself. Manze has been going since 1902, dishing up historic staples of the London workman’s lunch, namely jellied eels and pie and mash with parsley liquor – all to this day made in house.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Not far down the road, we have the focal point of modern British brewing, also known as the Beer Mile – a 1.5-mile (2.4-kilometre) walkable route of beer-focused bars and brewery taprooms between Southwark Brewing Co and Fourpure. (At South Bermondsey station during a brew day you often get a heady malty whiff.)
On weekends, beer drinkers customarily line their stomachs at the buzzing Maltby Street Market, held on a narrow, smoky and bunting-clad walkway hidden just off Druid Street.
Some of the city’s best traders line up here, and as is generally true of the foodie scene in London, eclectic would be an understatement – among other offerings, there are Japanese dumplings from the Gyoza Guys, toasted cheese sandwiches from The Cheese Truck and Mozambique-style burgers from African Volcano to lunch on.
Bermondsey Street, round the corner from London Bridge station, is another twee part of South East London, with its delis, gin bars, boutiques, small art galleries and bistros. Casse-Croûte is one of the most charming establishments, daily chalking up a short menu of classic French dishes, like roquefort salad, rabbit with mustard and crêpes suzette.
Levan, one of Peckham’s newest additions, offers a more modern and more encompassing approach to the French bistro. A train ride will take you from Bermondsey to Peckham Rye, a short stagger from Levan’s doorstep. Here, ‘sharing’ dishes – such as the chanterelle and vacherin pie – draw the eye, and justifiably so.
But smaller dishes, particularly the comté fries and the apple tarte tatin, are the real heroes, while sides of cheese never go amiss (the creamy bleu d’auvergne is a corker), especially alongside something from Levan’s exhaustive list of natural wines.
Speaking of neighbourhood restaurants, this part of London is well equipped. Franklins, among them, has been around since the late ’90s, and its consistency has earned it a lot of love from locals.
Simplicity in its food and cheery service are top priority, while the daily changing menu means regulars invariably find something new to tuck into. From Peckham, get there in a few minutes via a train to East Dulwich.
Then, Crystal Palace-way – and after 13 minutes on the train – is Gipsy Hill, where you’ll find a taproom known for knocking out some of the city’s most coveted one-off and seasonal beers, often in collaboration with a top UK brewery like Boxcar, Deya or Verdant.
Gipsy Hill Taproom’s highly rated, citrus-forward IPA, Hepcat, is almost always on the taps. It’s pumped from a state-of-the-art cellar, too, meaning there really is nowhere better to drink beer.
Southern offers regular routes from London Bridge to Crystal Palace, making it easy to travel around South East London – or other destinations such as Brighton and the south coast. For more information on train times and to book your tickets, visit southernrailway.com.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.