London’s Soho conjures up images of fashionable nights out, but with vegan cafés and fitness studios popping up on every street corner, the West End has plenty to offer on the health front too. This guide will help you find your wellness fix, whether it’s the best juice bars or the chicest places to break a sweat.
A wellness spot offering fashion, fitness, food and beauty under one roof, No.1 Carnaby is a must visit. The basement studio plays host to some of the capital’s most popular workouts, with takeovers from Equilibrium, GymClass, Yogarise and other well-known names. Don’t forget to refuel with a post-class avocado toast and smoothie bowl at the in-house Farm Girl café.
Nestled in the basement of Detox Kitchen lies the LDM studio – one of Soho’s best-kept fitness secrets. A low-impact combination of resistance, conditioning and cardio will leave limbs feeling longer and leaner in just one session. Burn calories with LDM’s Shape Changer or calm a frazzled mind with LDM Restore.
Gyms don’t get more luxury than Third Space, and the Soho outpost won’t disappoint. Spread across four levels connected by open steel staircases, this place includes a boxing ring, skylit climbing wall, altitude chamber and Pilates studio, as well as 130 classes every week. Extra perks include: laundry service, state-of-the-art medical centre and a live DJ.
Offering a curated line-up of HIIT, yoga and spinning, Another_Space has fitness covered for the class fiend. The studio is bright and airy, the instructors motivating and the changing rooms packed with fluffy towels and Cowshed products. The morning yoga classes come highly recommended, while Reynold’s cycle sessions are a guaranteed mood boost. For more in the way of yoga, check out our guide to the best yoga studios in London.
The original and arguably the best spin studio in town, Psycle is a favourite among Londoners. The low-intensity workout offers a full-body experience that’ll leave legs, arms and abs shaking. Spin enthusiasts will love the challenge of the longer 60- and 90-minute sessions, while barre and HIIT fans should keep an eye out for new classes coming soon.
Offering casual, self-service vegetarian food to office workers and Oxford Street shoppers, Ethos has fast become a foodie hotspot. Dishes range from Thai corn fritters and aloo scotch eggs (aloo is usually made with potatoes, cauliflower and spices) to a dizzying array of vegetable- and pulse-based salads. The Nordic-inspired décor is equally noteworthy.
Located on the second floor of Kingly Court, SO Pure is an Ayurvedic-inspired eatery tempting crowds with dishes designed to heal and balance. Open from early till late (and conveniently located next door to Triyoga), expect an array of gluten-, dairy- and refined-sugar-free choices all packed with medicinal spices and gut-friendly probiotics.
Serving up veggie fare for more than a quarter of a century, Mildreds is a Soho institution. There’s a no-bookings policy, but the inventive, generously portioned food is worth the wait. Creative starters include fennel and mascarpone tortelloni, which is indulgent but not too heavy, so you can save room for mains like the mock-chicken katsu curry that will impress veggies and meat eaters alike.
The poké bowl has come under fire for sustainability issues, but the menu at Honi Poké is varied and offers plenty of non-fish options. From tofu to umami-packed seaweed, there’s even the option to switch up rice for slaw. Seating in this Dean Street eatery is limited, but all dishes can be made to takeaway; perfect for a picnic lunch in nearby Soho Square Gardens.
Juices and smoothies
Those in the know flock to Detox Kitchen for their health fix. Quench your thirst with their impressive range of juices and smoothies, all made to order and fully customisable – think energy boosters like spirulina and maca as well as honey, cinnamon and ginger shots. Smoothies, meanwhile, can be topped with granola and coconut yoghurt.
All juices and smoothies at this London favourite are made fresh in store. Choose from Vit-Hit, brimming with coconut yoghurt and ginger, or tackle an energy slump with Go Green, a zesty blend of kale, avocado and mint. Protein-based shakes also cater to the post-gym crowd. If juice bars are right up your alley, check out our guide to discover more of the best fruit smoothies and juice bars in London.
Using a clever cold-press technique supercharges the vitamin and antioxidant content in Press’s seasonal juices and tonics, making them some of the best in town. Press’s juice cleanses – using ingredients sourced from London markets – are also on hand to revive flagging immune systems.
The latest addition to London’s wellness scene, Glow Bar is direct route to enhancing your natural beauty. Stock up on your favourite vegan skincare brands or head downstairs for an infrared sauna. Be sure to pick up a Moon Milk (an adaptogen-based drink) while you’re there. Brimming with mood-boosting, gut-friendly and skin-soothing ingredients, Glow Bar’s products will leave you with a spring in your step.
Rest and recharge
An unexpected oasis in the heart of Piccadilly Circus, this subterranean spa leads the way in its holistic approach to wellbeing. Nine treatment rooms, a sauna, a hammam and London’s first Watsu pool for private hydrotherapy sessions make Akasha the perfect place to while away the hours. A day in spent in these serene surroundings will revive even the most frazzled of urbanites.
More akin to a Cotswolds spa than a central London spot, Cowshed’s Carnaby Street sanctuary offers indulgent manicures, pedicures and rejuvenating face and body treatments, all carried out with the brand’s iconic plant-based products. Short on time? A selection of speedy, 30-minute treatments are also available.
The capital’s go-to destination for yoga, Pilates and complementary therapies, Triyoga is the answer to all your wellness needs. Come here for reflexology, acupuncture, naturopathy or osteopathy and leave feeling balanced and rejuvenated. And keep an eye out for visiting practitioners, who regularly host wellbeing workshops and buzzy treatments.
Located on the sixth floor of the W London in Leicester Square, the uber-modern Away Spa is home to some of London’s most acclaimed therapists. Sign up for a facial with sought-after skin expert Su-Man or book in for a session with spray-tan guru James Harknett. Or try a bliss-inducing steam and sauna, which will guarantee top-to-toe relaxation.
Our debut short film, The Soul of Soho, explores neighborhoods separated by oceans, history and culture but united by craft community and change. Neighborhoods bound by one name: Soho. Intimate portraits of city living in the Sohos of London, New York and Hong Kong reveal rich stories of the people who bring life to these iconic neighborhoods. Explore Soho here.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.