To comprehend the impact of color, picture London on one of those overcast afternoons when the sun seems lethargic. The streets are muted and gloomy and so are the pedestrians, because feeling upbeat is difficult when your day is filtered through a shade of sludge-grey. Perhaps, then, it’s not entirely surprising that London’s wellness pioneers are exploring the power of colored light, and its therapeutic effect on our emotional and physiological health.
If you stepped into Shoreditch studio ChromaYoga outside of opening hours, it would look stark and unremarkable—a window-less, white cubic room without Hindu effigies or any of the usual yogic bric-a-brac. Its defining feature is only apparent when class is in session and monochromatic color illuminates the space.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
This isn’t just about aesthetic (although it goes without saying that studios don’t come much more Instagrammable); the ChromaYoga concept is based on research into the effects of light therapy—the use of each shade’s distinct vibrational frequency to treat various conditions and ailments.
“Putting aside the initial emotional response that we all feel when stepping into a room saturated with one color, the reason ChromaYoga is so beneficial is because monochromatic light at specific frequencies can have a huge effect on your energy, mood, metabolism, circadian rhythms and muscles, which is complimentary to the styles of yoga we pair each color with,” explains founder Nina Ryner. “So, although it’s the first thing that people notice, the colors—or more specifically, light frequencies—focus much more on the physiological than the psychological. That’s why we don’t offer any blue classes after 3pm.”
You’ve probably heard about the perils of blue light emitted by your phone. It’s the one responsible for keeping you up after your nightly ritual of perusing Instagram, thanks to its suppressive affect on melatonin—the sleep hormone that governs the body’s circadian rhythms. This makes it a great color for ChromaYoga’s lunchtime class—a pick-me-up to increase afternoon productivity—but a no-no for the evening, when a restorative red, proven to improve sleep cycles, is much more beneficial. By braiding yoga with light therapy, Ryner has made the health benefits of the practice even more pronounced—an achievement that’s earned her studio a loyal following.
“A yellow class in the morning wakes me up, blue at lunch ignites my energy for a boost in the afternoon, and pink at the weekend settles me for a start to a new week,” says ChromaYoga student Fred Butler. As a bespoke accessories designer known for her bold and distinctive palettes, Butler has always been cognizant of the way color can influence emotions. “Color dictates and guides my life. I used to wear all one color and have a rainbow ordered wardrobe—I would wake up and feel a connection to a certain hue for that day,” she explains. “This has always been a subconscious action, so it was fascinating when I visited mycoocoon. I did their test [with a special app, designed to deduce] which color I needed that day, and when I took off my jacket I was wearing that exact shade of magenta.”
Magenta was also the shade I selected at mycoocoon—a pop-up chromotherapy pod created by Valérie Corcias and Dominique Kelly, co-founders of the the Pantone Universe licensing brand. This sensory immersion combines ancestral healing techniques (chromotherapy has roots stretching back to ancient Egypt and China) with modern technology, with the aim of restoring cellular and energetic balance.
Mycoocoon’s private showroom is on the 13th floor of a building on a quiet street in Soho. Set up just in front of a wide window, the cocoon’s rosy glow apposes a cityscape of grey concrete and grubby pigeons. Splayed out on the white leather lounger, bathed in magenta light, I placed a perfumed stick on my chest and a pair of headphones over my ears. Ambient sounds rose and fell over the bluetooth connection as I dozed off. It was cozy and safe-feeling under there—almost womb-like.
While the frequencies of other colors have scientifically corroborated physiological benefits, the perks of pink light are primarily emotional. It’s a shade associated with soft, sweet nurturing feelings, so we experience it as calming and comforting.
Regardless of whether it was placebo or not, that magenta light gave me a deep sense of peace and positivity I managed to hold on to for the remainder of the day—even at rush hour on the Northern Line! That’s something we could all use a little more of in this city of moody grey.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.