Beloved by playwrights, poets and artists throughout the decades, Soho has retained its edge with a buzzy nightlife and cutting-edge dining scene. The narrow streets and alleyways are studded with hidden gems, including Berwick Street Market and the French House – one of the oldest pubs in Soho and a favourite of Dylan Thomas and Francis Bacon. Discover it all from the best hotels in Soho – bookable on Culture Trip.
Soho’s appeal is unwavering – it’s a stalwart destination for good food and raucous bars in the heart of the city. There’s a chance any building, corner or lamppost you walk by comes with a story – and a good story at that. Famous faces from Karl Marx to the Sex Pistols have called it home. Also, it’s one of the thriving hearts of the LGBTQ scene in the city, and the X-rated shops dotting the area are a nod to Soho’s past life as a red-light district. Stay right in the thick of the action at one of these excellent hotels in Soho, London.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Within a bow shot of the famous Eros statue in Piccadilly Circus, this upscale hotel sits at the junction of three of the most magnetic locations in the West End: Soho, Chinatown and the Theatre District. The 67 rooms and suites all have immaculate ensuite bathrooms with underfloor heating and Elemis toiletries, plus modern touches such as climate control and flat-screen TVs with satellite access. Communal spaces keep standards just as high, from the fitness centre to the boutique spa and on-site restaurant and bar.
London hotels in Soho and Fitzrovia rarely offer the opulence and character that this outpost of Edition Hotels does. The heritage building comprises 173 guest rooms and suites, filled with George Smith furniture, Hendrik Kerstens photography, oak floors and wood panelling; however, the communal spaces are perhaps even more luxurious. Berners Tavern serves Michelin-starred dishes such as eight-hour slow-cooked Cumbrian Herdwick lamb shoulder beneath an elaborate stucco ceiling, while the Punch Room reincarnates a 19th-century gentleman’s club.
Hazlitt’s is unique among London hotels in Soho. Within a restored Victorian townhouse on buzzing Frith St, its interior evokes the luxury of bygone times. In the club singles and deluxe doubles, you’ll find extraordinary touches such as carved wooden 17th-century and Georgian beds, Victorian bathroom fittings and upholstered period furniture. Meanwhile, the Duke of Monmouth suite has a garden with a retractable glass roof, making it enjoyable year-round. Naturally, all modern amenities are subtly incorporated into the period fantasy.
The best thing about the Soho Hotel is undoubtedly the screening rooms and film club. Film aficionados can beat the crowds and watch the latest blockbuster and art-house releases from the comfort of their own lodgings, and the Refuel Bar & Restaurant offers modern, seasonal cuisine in a colourful setting. The upholstered bed frames and striking designer wallpaper also make this hotel stand out.
Sleek, stylish and minimalist, the Resident Soho sits in the heart of the neighbourhood. The interior – especially the enormous deluxe rooms with towering four-poster beds – will appeal to fashionistas and those with an artistic flair. Shuttered windows provide plenty of natural light during the day and make sure you get a good night’s sleep. You can request to have your fridge filled before you arrive, allowing you to make the most of the in-room mini-kitchen, complete with a Nespresso machine and a Brita tap filter. Service here is exceptional, and resident staff’s knowledge of the area is second to none, arming you with on-the-pulse recommendations for local hotspots.
The Mandrake is only a short walk from the heart of Soho. The hotel sits around a striking central courtyard with hanging gardens of jasmine and passion flowers, evoking a more exotic world. Here, the background noise of the city is replaced by the eerie soundscapes of French music producer Pierre-Arnaud Alunni. Find a quiet corner in the on-site Waeska Bar surrounded by the surreal artworks of Francesco Clemente, Jonas Burgert and Peter-John de Villiers, and settle in for a cocktail.
This hotel seamlessly combines rock’n’roll-themed decor with the tranquillity of a Balinese haven. From the Jimi Hendrix-inspired stained-glass windows to the rooftop jacuzzi, this boutique hotel in Soho looks like something straight from an ’80s glam-rock music video. The party doesn’t stop in the common areas; rooms are full of fun touches, such as mirror-tiled columns. The loft suite features a free-standing bath illuminated by LED lights. The rooftop bar is a thriving space that fits right in with the frenetic nightlife in Soho, while the Wild Heart Bar & Shokudo serves Japanese street-food dishes.
The striking marble staircase with red lacquer walls is thoroughly contemporary, but the rooms at Mimi’s feel more like stepping back into the 1800s. With wainscot panelling on the walls in shades ranging from taffy pink to navy blue, marble bathrooms and stained-wood headboards, the rooms are sultry spaces that evoke a bygone era. Henson’s, the boudoir-like bar downstairs, serves up breakfast by the fireplace in the morning; however, it’s best visited after dark, when you can sink into one of the velvet couches for a post-dinner signature cocktail.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.