It can’t be found on a London tube map, but Clapham is the home of Britain’s busiest train station and is incredibly well-connected on Overground and National Rail lines. Besides its main claim to fame, Clapham also has an array of great nightlife spots for letting loose.
The Clapham Grand
Dance the night away in this refurbished Victorian music hall which has hosted acts including Public Enemy, Chipmunk, Muse and Oasis. Only open on specific nights, this large venue can hold up to 1,250 people for evenings of film and sports, as well as good old-fashioned club nights too.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Gigalum may not be the biggest venue that Clapham has to offer, but what it lacks in size, its makes up for in atmosphere. Chill out in the front terrace of this bar-styled pub and ease yourself into the night, or bust some moves on the dance floor as you warm up for a club. Beware: this place closes by midnight on the weekend.
Tuck into some dumplings and sip on a cocktail before hitting the dance floor in Fu Manchu, an Edwardian opium den themed cocktail bar, which is only open to the public on Fridays and Saturdays. Situated under the railway arches of Clapham, the industrial setting combined with the exposed brickwork makes this eatery-cum-cocktail-bar feel a little bit Shoreditch.
Sugar Cane Bar
Embrace the culture of the South Pacific at the Sugar Cane, a brilliantly decorated Polynesian-themed cocktail bar. Complete with tiki hut booths and a bamboo bar providing tropical cocktails, the Sugar Cane Bar will almost certainly have you donning a flowery lei and exclaiming ‘Aloha!’ before the night is out.
Leave any hang-ups at the door upon entry to Infernos, a wild weekend nightclub that falls into the ‘love to hate’ category for many of its regular patrons. Delivering an avowedly 1980s ethos and playlist, Infernos’ spacious dance floor is adorned by plenty of disco balls and neon lights in homage to its era of inspiration.
Venn Street Records
Immerse yourself in the world of music at Venn Street Records, a music-themed bar where guests can enjoy live music over a meal. Furnished with a musical décor, with the shelves behind the bar stacked full of records, this place is sure to inspire an appreciation of the acoustic arts.
Dig into a steak while savouring an award-winning cocktail at this trendy spot on Clapham High Street, where all the meat and fish have been sourced directly from Smithfield and Billingsgate markets. Meanwhile, happy ‘hour’ is a major misnomer here, where two-for-one deals on cocktails are available from 5-10pm Sunday-Friday. It’s not hard to see why 64th&Social is so popular.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.