Brixton is a testament to the multiculturalism that has made London the global city that it is today. A hub of diversity and artistic innovation, Brixton is guaranteed to seduce the culturally curious. If you find yourself here during the day, why not check out the famous Brixton Market or take a look at our list of other awesome things to see and do in Brixton?
O2 Brixton Academy
Opened in 1929 as a cinema and theatre, the building was almost knocked down in the 1970s before finally re-opening as a music venue and becoming the Brixton Academy in the 1980s. Create a night to remember in this 5,000-capacity temple of sound that has hosted untold numbers of incredible acts.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Formerly operating as Plan B, this perpetually vibrant spot re-opened its doors in 2015 – like a Phonox rising from the ashes (sorry) – under its current name, with a renewed sense of purpose: to provide party animals with the time of their lives in a venue that delivers eclectic sounds from all walks of the musical life.
The Prince of Wales
Chill out on the terrace or dance until the early hours in the club; whatever night you’re after, The Prince of Wales is here to deliver. Offering a diverse range of music that extends from disco and funk to synth pop and soul, this place is always heaving with an enthusiastic crowd that’s keen to have a good time.
Converted from an old public house in to a new home of debauchery, this exuberant venue features an extensive variety of artists and genres. Split up stints on the dance floor with ventures out into large outdoor courtyard, which is always buzzing with activity.
Hit the dance floor like the Titanic hit the iceberg in this veteran nightclub, which opened two years before James Cameron’s film was released. Boasting a historical roster which features artists including Massive Attack, Basement Jaxx and The Prodigy, this vivacious three-story musical institute offers a willing setting to let loose and forget the world – and probably the night with it.
Serving up one of the latest nights in Brixton, Club 414 flaunts a 7am weekend closing time. This animated weekend site doesn’t even bother opening its doors Monday through Thursday – except for the 3am Monday finish to a wild Sunday night. Be aware: Club 414 mainly suits the heavy techno and psytrance crowd.
Electric Brixton sure does get lively and no nightlife guide to Brixton would be complete without it. Having presented the likes of The Chainsmokers, Big Narstie and Liam Gallagher, it’s not hard to see why. Their club night gets going most Fridays and Saturdays around 10 or 11pm, till 5 or 6am, and for gigs, it’s 7pm to 11pm.
Another former pub that has moved on to bigger and better things, Hootananny hosts a great assortment of gigs towards the back end of the working week. It’s a fairly affordable place so it won’t break the bank – although you’ll probably end up forking out for some of the tasty street food on offer in the courtyard.
This jovial collection of bars and street food is not too pricey and has some pretty chill vibes. Pop Brixton is great if you’re not looking for a crazy night, or if you’re looking to have a few quiet ones before moving the party on to one of Brixton’s wilder spots.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.