It is not a mystery that Londoners enjoy starting their weekends by running to their favourite restaurants and cafés for a delightful late breakfast. One place where brunch is a must is Hackney, yet to be fully explored by many. Here are the 10 best brunches that you have to try in Hackney.
The Hackney Pearl
If you’re a dessert person, then you won’t want to miss The Hackney Pearl, with its homey feeling and perfect shabby-chic atmosphere. The coffee is good, the service is courteous, and their menu is delightfully accessible to vegetarians and vegans. The restaurant has a lovely tradition of offering ‘This Month’s Cocktails’, so try their latest concoction. The Hackney Pearl is situated in the creative heart of London, The Wick. It includes not only the highest concentration of artists but also musicians, writers, and performers. It is also home to many arts festivals. Don’t forget to visit the nearby Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park, which holds various events throughout the year.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Recommended dish: chocolate and prune tart with hazelnut biscuit crust and almond milk sorbet.
The Hackney Pearl, 11 Prince Edward Road, London E9 5LX, UK, +44 20 8510 3605
Rawduck has a hipster, relaxed atmosphere, which might be attributed to the old vinyl spinning on the back and its unusual tables, which are constructed so patrons can share. Not only is Rawduck a perfect spot for brunches with its high-quality products, but at night you can also enjoy great Italian and French wine as it transforms into a wine bar. The restaurant is available for private hire, and it also caters for outside events. Splendid ceramics are also on sale there; handmade jugs, bowls, cups and saucers, which can be seen on display.
Recommended dish: sunny fried eggs, charred asparagus and prosciutto.
Rawduck, 197 Richmond Road London, E8 3NJ, UK, +44 20 8986 6534
Well Street Kitchen
If you are wandering through Well Street Market be careful not to miss this charming, blue coloured café. Well Street Kitchen’s brunch menu is classic, the prices are affordable, and they offer take away as well. The coffee is good, and you should not miss the smashed avocado with poached eggs or the grilled tomatoes on toast. Keep up to date with Well Street Market on Twitter or Instagram, especially for their events and festivals.
Recommended dish: smashed avocado with poached eggs, and grilled tomatoes on toast.
Well Street Kitchen, 203 Well Street London E9 6QU, UK, +44 20 8533 6275
Morty & Bob’s
Morty and Bob’s is the one of the best places to drop in for brunch style hangs around the Broadway Market area, especially with a group of friends for a slow catch-up. Hidden up several flights of stairs in Netil House, you’ll leave feeling that this is one dreamy London loft you’ll probably never be able to afford, in spite of the trains rumbling past from the adjacent Overground line. The brunches at Morty and Bob’s have been frequently noted; they do you a solid smashed avocado that is 100% Instagram worthy, but you may want to get crazy and jump on into some cheese toastie action — they make one of the best in town, for sure. And even though there’s booze readily available, they’re not open in the evenings so brunch really is the best time to visit.
Recommended dish: Smashed avocado, Feta, Toasted seeds, Sourdough toast, and Poached eggs.
Netil House, 11-25 Westgate St, London, E8 3RL, UK, +4420 3095 9420
The Hackney Bureau first opened in 2010 as a gallery and coffee shop. While slowly growing, they were able to add a fully functioning kitchen, with crafted beers and wines. Vegan, vegetarian and gluten-free plates are also offered. The menu and décor are simple but both lovely. To not miss the restaurant, look out for the gallery sign posted in front of it. The restaurant still supports the art programme of ANDOR. Therefore, if you are also interested in the art world, and are eager to enjoy a nice exhibition, The Hackney Bureau hosts artists such as Ross Jardine, Michael Pybus, Craig Barnes, Gili Tal, Thomas Raat, and Herman van Ingelgem.
Recommended dish: ceviche, with a refreshing spritz
Hackney Bureau, 3 Mare Street, E8 4RP London, UK, +44 20 8533 6083
On a sunny day, Little Georgia is the nicest spot to eat. The tiny interior gives that feeling of nostalgia, with an antique gramophone, old-style phones hanging on the wall, sentimental black and white photos and fairy lights. The café is usually buzzing, not only due to its homely décor but also to its ambitious Georgian food. It is the perfect place to go with your family on weekends, especially if you are looking for an alcohol-free meal — the café does not serve any.
Recommended dish: pancake blini – blini served with smoked salmon, crème fraîche, and chives, and green salad.
Little Georgia, 87 Goldsmith’s Row, London, E2 8QR, UK, +44 207 739 8154
L’eau à La Bouche
Since its opening in 2004, this typical French deli has been one of the hot spots of Hackney. If you decide to visit during the weekend, your patience will be exercised due to its popularity; it can be somewhat difficult to be seated. From the meat to the cheeses, to olives and salads, everything that is sold by Stef, the French owner, is high quality. We recommend leaving enough space at the end of your meal for dessert — fruit crumble tarts and a nice cup of particularly noteworthy coffee.
Recommended dish: pain au chocolate.
L’eau a La Bouche, 35-37 Broadway Market, Hackney, London, E8 4PH, UK, +4420 7923 0600
Morito Hackney Road
It seems to be just a fact of life we’ve grown used to recently, that anything that opens up in Hackney will automatically be cooler than at any equivalent place in London. Everything about Morito’s second restaurant in Hackney will make you want to bring all your friends here time and time again. It oozes cool. The Spanish food complete with North African influences is always worth the visit, and the occasional specials from the cook’s hometown in Crete, which, if they are available, we’d recommend sinking your teeth into.
Recommended dish: Huevos Rotos, Peppers, Smoked Paprika, and Chorizo.
Morito Hackney Road, 195 Hackney Road, London E2 8JL, UK,+4420 7613 0754
Noteworthy on this menu is the prosecco on tap and the ratatouille with poached eggs. The food is a combination of Italian and British. Everything in Market Café screams trendy, especially its location at the bottom end of Broadway Market overseeing the canal. We recommend that you sit in front of the windows and observe the buzzing of a busy Broadway Market morning while enjoying a piece of delicious orange cheesecake.
Recommended dish: herby ham hock hash with a fried egg.
Market Café, 2 Broadway Market, London, E8 4QJ, UK, +4420 7249 9070
E5 Bakehouse is the best bakery in the area; in fact most of the cafés and restaurants in Hackney are known to serve its bread. The bakery is famous for offering first-class organic food, with a passion for handcrafting. Everything in the venue is based on renewable sources, biodegradable packaging, recycling and composting. The café’s menu changes daily, hence every day is a new discovery. Moreover, they offer classes for those interested in learning the secrets of baking.
Recommended dish: salami on a freshly baked sourdough baguette with fig and orange tapenade.
E5 Bakehouse, Arch 395, Mentmore Terrace, London E8 3PH, UK, +44 20 8525 2890
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.