Briggate is one of the oldest and one of the main pedestrian shopping streets in Leeds city centre. Packed with shops, cafés and restaurants there’s plenty to do in this historic part of the city.
Shopping, Eating And Drinking At Trinity Leeds
You can start by getting a serious shop on at Trinity Leeds, the biggest shopping center in the city, which has one of its many entrances just on Briggate. A huge indoor/outdoor shopping centre, the Trinty has everything you need, from your food shop to all the best high-street fashion stores along with some great places to eat and drink. The Alchemist do some incredible and highly original cocktails, while food options range from good old Nando’s to more original establishments like the Trinity Kitchen. Whatever you chose to do, there’s something for everyone in Trinity Leeds, offering more than enough to keep you entertained from morning to evening.
Order A Pint At The Ship
Have a pint at The Ship, a charming historic pub in the heart of Leeds. Tucked away down a little alley, this is a pub proper, offering pints, roast dinners and a warm welcome. Drinks here are unsurprisingly taken very seriously – fine wine can be drunk by the bottle or glass, while The Ship’s Casque Ale Marque demonstrates this is a pub that serves well-kept and well-served real ale, sourced from the local areas of Ilkley, Ridgeside and Kirkstall.
Opening hours: Mon 12-11pm; Tue-Wed 11am-11pm; Thur 11am-12pm; Fri-Sat 11am-2am; Sun 12-10:30pm
Admire The Victoria Quarter
Get a feel for Briggate’s past with a walk around the restored Victoria Quarter, a shopping mall with elaborate, glass-roofed Victorian arcades. Admire The County Arcade and gaze at Victoria Street’s glass roof, which now functions as another arcade. All the shops here have stuck in line with the original Edwardian design of Frank Matcham, providing an original setting for shopping, and overall the place has a quaint and historical feel.
Soak Up The Luxury At Harvey Nichols
Experience a classy atmosphere with a trip to Harvey Nichols, the famous department store. Harvey Nichols indulges customers with high-end brands and world-class products. Even if you’re not looking to buy anything, it’s worth just nipping in to experience the luxury of this department store institution. You can also go for an elegant dining experience in their café, bar, and espresso bar,
Enjoy Street Music And Entertainment
One of the best things about Briggate is the people that frequent it – not only the friendly locals come here to hang out, but the area also showcases some incredible talent in the form of street performers. Many buskers come here to play their music, be it classic covers or orginal material. The street fills up with performers on the weekend, where a whole mix of artists and human statues will entertain you as you pass by.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.