Southampton, the cruise capital of Europe, offers something new, exciting and enjoyable for everyone. As a local , or 1 of the 4 million visitors the city receives each year, you’ll have no trouble finding an art gallery, music venue, restaurant or garden that matches your taste and budget. We’ve itemised 10 things to see & do below, that will appeal to the masses…
Solent Sky Museum
The importance of aviation history is showcased at the Solent Sky Museum in Southampton seven days a week, Between 1910 and 1960, local manufacturers produced an incredible variety of machines, including experimental rocket fighters, hovercraft, helicopters and spacecraft. You can take a guided tour of the Sandringham flying boat, or enjoy sitting in the jet fighter cockpits and letting your imagination run wild.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Tudor House and Garden
John Wytegod, Walter and Jane William, Sir John Dawtrey, Lady Isabel Lyster and Sir Richard Lyster, are just a few locals’ stories over the last 800 years that you can re-live at the Tudor House and Garden. The House and Gardens offer many exciting activities, tours and exhibitions to keep every member of the family happy!
Boasting six football pitches, two cricket pitches, a tennis court, skate park and three play areas, Riverside Park is located along the River Itchen and certainly deserves it’s place on our list. As you stroll down the river you can expect to be greeted by all sorts of wildlife, including salmon, water voles, kingfishers, dragonflies, otter, various warblers and sometimes even cuckoos!
UK touring musicals, opera, ballet & musicians always stop by The Mayflower – and it’s easy to see why. The theatre offers much more than fantastic performances, including the award-winning restaurant, VIP boxes and meeting rooms for hire, fully-licensed bars, a 2,300 strong crowd, and, if you’re a fan of the paranormal, supposedly the ghost of an old man who sits backstage in a wicker chair.
St Mary’s Stadium
St. Mary’s Stadium has been home to Premier League team Southampton Football Club since 2001. As well as watching a top-flight football match, you can always attend St. Mary’s on a non-matchday Saturday and enjoy one of their guided tours. Stroll around the 32,505 capacity stadium, stand in the dressing rooms, and act a pro as you walk out of the players tunnel.
Sea City Museum
Southampton has a strong and fascinating connection with the sea and in particular with the Titanic. Dive into the history of the tragedy of the Titanic through an interactive 1:25 scale of the Titanic, and discover more about the people who boarded and worked on it as you make your way around various experiences and exhibitions.
Manor Farm Country Park
Help milk the cows and hold baby chicks, rabbits and ducks as you work your way around the beautiful Manor Farm Country Park. Enjoy different daily ‘meet the animal’ sessions, stop off at the outdoor play area, and refuel at the café. The sound of the birds and the beautiful backdrop of bluebells and forest woodland makes for a very pleasant walk for you, the young ones, and the pup too!
Spread over three stories, Westquay boasts some of the finest names in retail. Open from 9am-late (11am on Sundays), you can make your way around over 90 major stores including River Island, M&S, Coast and Zara. All of that shopping is thirsty, and hungry, work – treat yourself to a bite to eat at Harry Ramsden’s, Pizza Express, Pret a Manger, Wagamamas or even a ‘cheeky’ Nando’s.
Go Ape Southampton
Hidden within 440-acres of woodland, Go Ape Southampton offers a fun-filled and action-packed day for all the family. At 40 feet high, Go Ape Southampton is the highest course within the South of England. Providing you are over 1.4 metres and 10 years of age, you can choose to follow the Tree Top Adventure or the Tree Top Junior trail and finish with a 250-metre, adrenaline-fuelled zip wire across both fields.
Titanic Engineer Officers Memorial
Back in April 1914, over 100,000 people gathered in Andrews Park to witness the unveiling of the Titanic Engineer Officers Memorial Statue, built in memory of all the engineers who lost their lives two years earlier: 24 engineers, six electrical engineers, two boilermakers, one plumber, one clerk, and Joseph Bell, Chief Engineer Officer of the RMS Titanic. The monument is inscribed with the following:
“GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN
THIS. THAT A MAN LAY DOWN HIS
LIFE FOR HIS FRIENDS
ST. JOHN 15TH CH. 13TH V
TO THE MEMORY OF THE ENGINEER OFFICERS
OF THE R.M.S “TITANIC” WHO SHOWED
THEIR HIGH CONCEPTION OF DUTY AND THEIR
HEROISM BY REMAINING AT THEIR POSTS
15TH APRIL 1912.
ERECTED BY THEIR FELLOW ENGINEERS AND FRIENDS
THROUGHOUT THE WORLD“
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.