Rich with history, scenic dales and bustling markets, Yorkshire is guaranteed to impress. It boasts everything from picturesque countryside and vibrant cities to Gothic ruins and country pubs, spoiling visitors for choice. If you’re passing through this English county, here are our top six places to visit and explore.
This popular attraction, situated in the heart of York, immerses guests in an informative journey through 2,000 years of local history. The dungeons have 11 featured time periods and locations, each with a costumed actor who takes audiences through some of the city’s most horrible histories. Featuring favoured medieval torture devices and opportunities to learn how to spot cases of the bubonic plague, the dungeons offer a fun, if sometimes disturbing, day out.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The Yorkshire Dales
If you fancy a day out of the city, make sure to visit the Yorkshire Dales National Park. Known as ‘The Dales’ locally, the spectacular scenery has plenty of fascinating natural features and wildlife. The park is home to more than a hundred different species, including the endangered red squirrel, and has several protected habitats to give indigenous species a safe space to bounce back. Scattered around the park, a few country pubs offer guests the perfect place to refuel on an authentic pie-and-peas lunch – or even a cheeky pint of country ale.
Leeds Corn Exchange
This Grade I listed building first opened its doors to Leeds residents back in 1863 as a trading building for merchants. Nowadays, the exchange houses a plethora of independent shops and eateries for shoppers looking for something special. From flowers to fabrics, the boutique stores have a wide range on offer, which means you might end up going in for one thing and coming out with something completely different. With plenty of transport links available and nearby car parks, the exchange is easy to find and a must-see if you are visiting Leeds.
North Yorkshire Moors Railway
What better way to take in the beautiful Yorkshire countryside than riding on a vintage locomotive through the Moors? The 18-mile-long (29km) track runs from Whitby to Pickering and features an authentic steam engine and wooden carriages. For an extra memorable experience, be sure to book one of the catered trips and enjoy traditional cream teas as you check out the stunning scenery.
Overlooking the picturesque seaside town of Whitby are the Gothic ruins of Whitby Abbey. The abbey has stood in its place since the 7th century and has inspired all those who visit it, not least Bram Stoker, who wrote the classic horror novel Dracula in the shadow of the ruins. With plenty to explore around the national heritage site, this makes for the perfect excursion on a summer’s day.
The Shambles, York
Supposedly the inspiration for Diagon Alley in Harry Potter, this medieval street has been home to York’s traders since the 14th century. Along the narrow street, which is too small for cars, you can find plenty of charming shops and restaurants tucked into its curious crannies. Located in York’s city centre, the street is one of the most visited in Europe and a great destination for visitors of all ages.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.