Find solitude in this remote part of the British Isles, where boutique beachside retreats, luxury spas and full-service five-star hotels tempt travellers with impressive scenery and the promise of laid-back living along Cornwall’s rugged coast.
Opt for a holiday with a hint of Bridgerton at the glamorously Georgian Penventon. This grand, palm-shaded 18th-century villa features 63 lavishly-decorated rooms set amid its lush landscaped gardens. Statement wallpaper, brass beds and windows framing the greenery outside feature in all the rooms, while the lounges are filled with plush upholstered furniture. The spectacular yet cosy Copper Bar has over 160 gins on offer, while other ways to unwind include the hotel’s leisure club and spa with a collonaded heated pool, jacuzzi and sauna.
This family-run coastal retreat has delighted guests since first opening in 1931. Its modern, airy interiors and whitewashed shutters help create a relaxed Mediterranean vibe – a theme echoed in the restaurant menu, which is influenced by Italian, Greek and French cuisine. Staying true to its Cornish roots, the hotel sources its produce from local suppliers, including Da Bara Artisan Bakery, the Real Cornish Crab Company and St Ives Gin.
It’s no wonder Carbis Bay Estate is in such high demand, given its own private Blue Flag beach and views that have inspired bestselling authors. From the individually furnished rooms and suites of this Victorian manor house, you can take in the panoramic views of Gwithian beach and Godrevy Lighthouse – made famous in former guest Virginia Woolf’s novel, To the Lighthouse. Alternatively, you can opt for a stay in a spacious beach lodge, complete with its own hot tub.
As its name suggests, the Beach at Bude has a prime location steps from Summerleaze beach – a visual reflected in its minimalist colour scheme and furnishings. This is a place where style meets comfort, with deep baths, rain showers and waffle robes adding a luxe touch to ensuite rooms. The bar serves innovative cocktails that come highly recommended, as does the restaurant headed up by award-winning chef Jamie Coleman, who has worked with the likes of Gordon Ramsay and Michael Caines.
Set in 2 acres (0.8ha) of carefully manicured gardens filled with eccentric sculptures, the Talland Bay Hotel make you feel as if you’ve landed in Wonderland – with a giant red teapot and cat-shaped bird box among the unexpected delights you’ll find on display here. Sitting midway between Looe and Polperro, it’s the ideal base to explore the nearby Eden Project and embark on clifftop walks with four-legged friends, who are also welcome to stay here.
Grand four-poster beds, roll-top baths and Victorian shuttered windows are just some of the original features of this 19th-century manor house. Set in 43 acres (17ha) of woodland, it feels like a secluded hideaway, despite being just 1mi (1.6km) from the centre of St Austell. Enjoy a platter of freshly baked cakes, scones, sandwiches and Tregothnan teas served in the opulent Laura Ashley Tea Room, or dine al fresco on the sun terrace, overlooking Pentewan Valley.
For more options, discover our guide to the best boutique hotels in Cornwall and book now on Culture Trip.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Abigail Blasi contributed additional reporting to this article.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.