One of the most well-loved family attractions in Leeds, Tropical World is home to vast numbers of tropical plants and animals that kids big and small will love to discover. Our list of Leeds hotels are all nearby: pick from stylish city centre stays or self-contained apartments that are great for families, bookable with Culture Trip.
At Tropical World you can marvel at animals like monkeys, crocodiles and snakes as you wind through the park’s aquarium, rainforest canopy, butterfly house and fuel up on Yorkshire fare at the cafe. Kids will love the educational events, the exciting gift shop and leafy Roundhay Park where it’s located. Just 3mi (5km) from the city centre, it’s the ideal attraction to add to your must-visit list during a long weekend in this Yorkshire metropolis.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The stylish, luxury rooms and suites here are as cosmopolitan as they come, with rich dark tones, media hubs to listen to your favourite playlists and, in some, private balconies overlooking the city. Downstairs you’ll find Dakota Grill restaurant, which is perfect for a swish evening meal, best topped off at the Dakota Bar where original, art-inspired cocktails are served. If you’re travelling with a group, you can even hire the Champagne Room for private drinking and dining. The morning after, head for brunch at the on-site Salon Prive, where dishes like Yorkshire cheddar and ale rarebit and classic steak and eggs will cure a hangover in no time.
Leeds’ amenities are on your doorstep at Radisson Blu, located in shopping and entertainment complex the Light, where you’ll find shops, bars, restaurants, a cinema and more. The hotel – a restored, grand building – has the Fire Lake Grill House restaurant, where diners can see meats cooked to perfection on an open-flame Josper grill. For late nights, there’s 24-hour room service with a pizza menu, and in the morning there’s a great breakfast buffet.
For a budget hotel with a cosy feel, book High Bank Hotel in Chapel Allerton. High ceilings and city views adorn some rooms – all have cosy carpets, pretty fabrics and free wifi. Pre-order breakfast – either cooked or a choice of lighter bites – and they’ll bring it to your room. If it’s sunny you’ll enjoy the garden with its cute swing for two. The free car park, available on a first come basis, is helpful for the 10 minute-drive to town or to Tropical World, which is also a 40-minute walk.
Hip Headingley is home to this amenities-packed hotel with colourful rooms featuring Sealy beds and free wifi. The highlight is the Health & Wellness Club with its gym, heated indoor pool, whirlpool, sauna and steam room. Choose from over 100 classes each week and work up a sweat at Pilates or HIIT. There are swimming sessions for the kids and you’ll all enjoy the in-house Starbucks and tantalisingly tall Pub & Grill burger stacks.
1891-built Quebecs is Grade II listed and the only independently owned luxury hotel in central Leeds. Marvel at original features like the columned entrance, sweeping staircase with carved oak and grand windows in the lavish suites. Cream tea in the Gallery, adorned with stained-glass windows of the Yorkshire coat of arms, is a must. Enjoy locally sourced breakfast in the Conservatory and your complimentary access to a nearby premium health club and spa.
Downstairs from your contemporary room or Skyline Suite at Park Plaza, you’ll find the award-winning Chino Latino restaurant serving colourful, exciting pan-Asian cuisine and Latin cocktails. Think black cod with spicy miso and tantalising tasting menus, plus a list for the kids. Work off all that indulgence at the fitness suite before heading to Leeds train station across the road to start exploring. Here on business? There are 11 flexible meeting rooms on two dedicated conference floors.
The highlight of this hotel is its restaurant: the Soap Factory Cocktail Lounge & Kitchen. Kick back and peruse the long list of exciting burgers, from locally sourced meat patties with tons of toppings to Thai spiced fish burgers with coriander, chilli and lime. Room decor is simple and clean and you can start your mornings with a breakfast of favourites. Enjoy useful amenities like a car park, wifi and nine meeting rooms.
Find your stylish city pad at one of these four different sized apartments, which have everything you’ll need plus luxury touches. Expect kitchenettes with Bosch appliances, Nespresso machines and pods, beds by Leeds mattress designer Harrison Spinks, luxury showers, Molton Brown toiletries and big smart TVs to stream your favourite Netflix shows. They’re all in a swish silver and grey package and just five to 10 minutes’ walk from Leeds train station.
For more options, discover our guide on the best hotels in Leeds and book now on Culture Trip.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.