Located in the North Yorkshire Moors, Scarborough almost has an embarrassment of riches when it comes to produce. From nationally famous seafood to impressive meat and game raised in the stunning countryside that is all around, it is no wonder the town offers such great dining spots. From the traditional British pub experiences to the latest modern culinary innovation, Scarborough has them all.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Originally the well-loved Hares Leap Farm Shop, it has since transformed into The Barn, a delightful cafe-bistro serving, unsurprisingly, the best of farm dining. Open for breakfast and lunch, including a hugely popular Sunday lunch service, the menu offers freshly-baked treats and bistro fare. Meals can either be enjoyed in the barn itself, its intimate upstairs dining area or on their beautiful new courtyard for the full farmhouse lunch experience.
The Green Room
With son Robert Porter in the kitchen and his mother serving, one visit to the Green Room and you will feel like part of the family. The people at the Michelin Guide certainly felt at home, having recommended the restaurant in their famous guide. Choose their exceedingly reasonably priced six course tasting menu or pick from their perfectly cultivated à la carte menu to see family recipes done well, with traditional tastes combined with modern techniques.
Found inside the four star Crown Spa Hotel, Taste offers exquisite decor and delicious food. Combining European dining with the signature tastes and produce of Yorkshire, try their full menu of classics from across the continent or sample from their tapas menu for a piece of the Mediterranean right in the heart of Northern England. With a selection of enclosed rooms offering intimate dining from smart casual to formal, there is an eating experience at Taste ideal for any occasion.
As its name suggests, Lanterna is a shining light in British Italian food. The atmosphere is simple and unassuming, but this only serves to highlight the culinary expertise behind every dish served at the restaurant. The food is an authentic take on the Northern Italian food that chef-owner Giorgio Allesio grew up with in his native city of Piedmont. His team is not afraid to fuse this with the best of British to create intriguing new dishes, like a fascinating black pudding-filled ravioli, making for a unique dining experience.
Recipient of two of the AA’s prestigious rosettes, The Courtyard offers scrumptious seafood in a stunning location. As part of the Ox Pasture Hall Hotel, it sits in the North Yorkshire Moors, offering rolling vistas experienced from the comfort of a boutique hotel. Although a stay at Ox P asture Hall is already a romantic treat on its own, the experience is made perfect with a visit to The Courtyard, with its spotlight on the area’s famous seafood from Scarborough, Whitby and beyond.
The Bryherstones Country Inn
Found in outer Scarborough, The Bryherstones Country Inn is the nearest you will find to an authentic old style country inn. With all the pub classics you would expect, this is a great first stop for anyone new to the area looking for a taste of Yorkshire past, but with the attention to detail and quality ingredients you expect from modern dining. The meat comes from local butchers, its guest beers come from local breweries, and its atmosphere is 100% Yorkshire.
The Anvil Inn
Located in nearby Sawdon in a refurbished 18th century forge with exposed stone, wooden beams and iron tables, The Anvil Inn offers delicate food in fascinating contrast to its strong decor, with fun historical flourishes highlighting the dining room’s past as a blacksmith’s workshop. This delicacy of flavours is achieved through the restaurant’s commitment to fresh, local and seasonal ingredients, whether it is local Yorkshire game or vegetables. Happily, this focus on local does not stop their menu from exploring the best tastes and techniques in the world.
The Star Inn
One of Britain’s first and most celebrated gastropubs, The Star Inn is well worth the short drive out of Scarborough centre to reach it. Cutting edge but non-pretentious food is served in a converted 14th century longhouse, making for the best in village pub cuisine.The menu is ever-changing, but always offers a tempting selection of meat, fish and game. It has won a Michelin Star on several occasions for its innovative taster menu and other delightful surprises.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.