Beneath the plateau of Lansdown, on the cusp of the Cotswolds, limestone houses mottle the dense green valley of the River Avon in the Somerset city of Bath. Most commonly commended for its buns, its hot springs, and its sweeping semi-circular terraces, this spa town also brims with boats, beer gardens, and bounteous botanical borders – and we’ve listed some of the best bits.
Get on the water
With mallards bobbing by and the occasional kingfisher flashing turquoise above, there is nothing quite like sailing a boat through Bath. Whether it’s on a barge, a water bus, or an old-fashioned punt, boating will afford you the opportunity to see a different side of the metropolis. From Pulteney Weir, the medieval cattle-market and the country’s only surviving Georgian lido, to the Victorian boating station, Solsbury Hill, and the rural village of Bathampton, the town’s true colours are sure to show. Pulteney Princess, Pulteney Bridge, Bath, UK +44 7791 910650 Bath Narrowboats, Sydney Wharf, Bath, UK +44 1225 447276 Bath Boating Station, Forester Rd, Bath, UK +44 1225 312900
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Browse the book shops
Known for its literary past and its cultured connections, Bath is bursting with book shops. Wandering through the pillar-box red door of Bath Old Books, with its intoxicating scent of rare editions, you are bound to find something of interest. On the outskirts of the city, in the tiny cobbled town of Bradford on Avon, Ex-Libris Books has over 4000 titles. Head to the high-street and pull up a pew in Topping for something a little more modern. Bath Old Books, 9c, Margarets Buildings, Brock Street, Bath, UK +44 1225 422244 Ex-Libris, 1 The Shambles, Bradford-on-Avon, UK +44 1225 863595 Topping & Company Booksellers, The Paragon, Bath, UK +44 1225 428111
Probe into the peripheries
For an alternative perspective, why not wander one of the many walkways woven in and around the city? Just north of the Avon, the towering local landmark of Kelston Round Hill overlooks the Wiltshire Downs, the Mendip Hills, and the Black Welsh Mountains. The Cotswold Way National Trail cuts through the charming Somerset village of North Stoke and also passes Pipley Wood, Lansdown Racecourse, and Upton Cheyney. The scenic, six-mile stretch of the Bath Skyline definitely boasts the best panoramic cityscape. Kelston Round Hill, Bath Cotswold Way National Trail, Bath Bath Skyline, Bath
Saunter through the parks
Covering 57 acres, Bath’s Royal Victoria Park, also contains a tennis court, an adventure playground, and a bandstand. Hidden within its neatly mown expanse, however, the Great Dell, streaked with conifer-lined pathways and lime covered walkways, houses a plethora of fauna and flora. But the jewel of the sward has to be the Botanical Garden, with its assortment of trees, shrubs, and plants, along with a string of herbaceous borders, rock gardens, and scented side-tracks. Royal Victoria Park, Bath
Bask in the beer gardens
After a busy day in Bath, the last thing you want to do is search for a pub. Next to the Kennet and Avon Canal, the ivy-cloaked, Grade II listedGeorge Inn – with its outdoor terrace, classic cuisine, and cask ales – is the perfect place to unwind. Minutes from the centre, The Boathouse, in the west, comprises a lengthy landscaped garden that leads down to the water. Move northwards, and you will find the Hare and Hounds perched right on the top of Lansdown, with a breath-taking backyard view. George Inn, Mill Lane, Bathampton, Bath, UK +44 1225 425079 The Boathouse, 1-3 Newbridge Road, Bath, UK +44 1225 482584 Hare and Hounds, Lansdown Road, Bath, UK +44 1225 482682 By Gemma Roxanne Lake
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.