The Lake District is not only one of the most popular and picturesque holiday destinations in the UK, but its scenic valleys and fells are also home to some of the country’s best and most inspired boutique hotels.
With family-run Victorian mansions, cosy cottages, old-fashioned English pubs and luxurious spa hotels to choose from, you’re sure to find somewhere to suit. Either nestled by the coast or in the heart of a quaint village, here are just a few of Culture Trip’s favourites.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
High up in the hills where luxury meets the Lakes, Hillthwaite is the perfect spot for a romantic recharge, a celebratory getaway or a relaxing holiday, just because. Previously a private home known as Earlston House, this stylish and classy boutique B&B has 34 individually designed bedrooms, three lounges with amazing views, a bar, a terrace and garden, along with a pool, sauna and steam room. Breakfast is served in the dining room every morning, and there are also three-course dinner options available.
Once a 17th-century coaching inn, Lakeside Hotel & Spa is now a luxury four-star boutique hotel with an in-house Aveda spa and pool, two restaurants, a lakeside conservatory and terrace, and gardens stretching all the way down to the jetty on the shores of Lake Windermere. Contemporary yet classic, the rooms are as impressive as the location, with extra touches like private gardens and personal saunas.
This adults-only five-star retreat in Windermere is grown up in all the right ways, with stylish decor, private hot-tub suites and decadent fine dining options. Ideal for a romantic getaway, Applegarth Villa is close to some of the Lake District’s most scenic spots, so you can dip out for a champagne picnic and take a tour of the national park before taking tea on the terrace, soaking up the opulence in the wood-panelled bar or relaxing in your spa bath.
Overlooking a lagoon and the Irish Sea in Steel Green, HerdwickS is a family-run coffee house, pizzeria and boutique hotel with four cosy B&B ensuite rooms. While the building is nice and the rooms are comfy, the clincher here is definitely the location, offering a very different side of the Lakes. Half an hour south of Muncaster Castle at Ravenglass and just an hour’s scenic drive from Windermere, HerdwickS is a great base for exploring.
On the southern tip of the Lake District, the aptly named Grange Boutique Hotel in Grange-over-Sands is sandwiched between lakes, rivers and the sea. Ticking all the boxes, this luxurious home-from-home is run by Nigel and Jackie, who have been lovingly restoring the iconic Victorian building to its former glory, with a bit of a contemporary “country chic” twist. Think log fires, spa baths, bespoke wallpaper, handmade beds and a big old breakfast with freshly baked bread.
The iconic Queens Head Hotel has been welcoming visitors to the little village of Hawkshead since the 17th century. This gorgeous Tudor-fronted inn is a cross between a boutique hotel and a good old-fashioned pub, with the downstairs bar and dining room characterised by dark wood panelling and exposed brick fireplaces, soft seating and cosy nooks. Upstairs and in the neighbouring cottage, you’ll find 13 comfy ensuite rooms with plenty of character.
Originally built in 1860, Diamond Lodge is a unique adults-only boutique hotel within walking distance of Ambleside and Lake Windermere. Owned by Joe and Sarah, the recently refurbished hotel is named for Joe’s dad, who owned a jewellery shop in Ambleside. Spread across three storeys, the hotel’s scenic rooms all offer views over the garden or the countryside and come with breakfast. Guests staying in the Superior King rooms and Junior Suites also get complimentary access to a nearby spa.
Two minutes from Lake Windermere, Aphrodites Boutique Hotel specialises in romantic suites, cabins and rooms that come with spa baths and private outdoor hot tubs. The spacious rooms are a little kitschy but fun, with mood lighting, robes and slippers, and big TVs, and some even have barrel saunas, log burners, mirrored walls and round beds. Breakfast is served in bed, or even in the bath, if you’d prefer.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.