Do you ever wonder where the food that you buy in the supermarket actually comes from? A humble project launched in the small market town of Todmorden back in 2007 has now spread all around the world, encouraging local communities to grow their own fruit and vegetables that can be shared with their neighbours. Incredible Edible now has over 700 groups, from Canada to New Zealand, but its story starts in West Yorkshire.
Years before people began to flock to Todmorden for ‘vegetable tourism’, a local woman planted vegetables in her front garden, knocked down her front wall, and erected a sign encouraging people to help themselves. Pam Warhurst then joined with other locals to put together a simple plan that would become known as Incredible Edible.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Pam’s plan was to help people think differently about their way of living by planting fruit, vegetables, and herbs in public spaces where locals and visitors could help themselves. She began with a strip of land along the side of the main road, turning it into a herb garden where people could forage for ingredients on their way home from work.
Todmorden is now thriving with greenery. Vegetables grow in raised beds in the train station car park, fruit trees flourish on the land outside the health centre, there are bee friendly sites along the canal towpath and even the police station has herbs and vegetables planted outside.
Local artists teamed up with the project to educate people about what was going on, creating fun and colourful signage that explained everything, telling the story of Incredible Edible, encouraging people to help themselves, and sharing what was growing in each specific spot.
A team of volunteers share the maintenance of the various fruit and vegetable patches, planting new crops and weeding when necessary. The team even occasionally cook up dishes using freshly picked ingredients, presenting their offers in various public spaces around the town.
The volunteer-led programme is based around three simple ‘plates’ that imagined a town focused on community, learning, and business. The community aspect focuses on growing produce that can be consumed by everyone, by working together. The learning plate provides education around growing the vegetables, partnering with the local high school which is now teaching agriculture. Meanwhile, the business plate supports local commerce by promoting farmers and producers of food. The team even created a map showing where local residents were selling eggs from honesty boxes in their gardens. There’s also the Incredible Edible green route, leading visitors to the town along edible towpaths and participating gardens, changing the way that people move around the town.
The project has now spread all around the U.K., from Wigan to Bristol, as well as to communities as far away as New Zealand. The original group behind the Todmorden project created a tool kit which talked about everything from licenses to how to sow your own vegetable patch, also offering advice to communities wishing to imitate the project themselves. The Incredible Edible Network helps with everything from sending out starter kits to offering advice for how to recruit volunteers and even assistance with making a website. There’s also a handy map to help you to locate your nearest Incredible Edible community.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.