Choosing the ideal dating destination is a tightrope walk, but in a city as ancient and beautiful as Cambridge, you’re spoilt for choice. Culture Trip rounds up the best six places to impress your date.
With so many options, though, choosing the perfect date can feel overwhelming, and the last thing you want is to run out of time and end up sitting in the Grafton Centre Burger King wondering if your date really did just get an urgent call from their mother. Here are six options which will help you avoid this.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Cambridge Gin Laboratory
Cambridge Distillery has been making gin using the same method since the mid-18th century, taking the botanical surroundings the city is famed for as both resource and inspiration. You can sign up for a mixing, tasting or making course, or, if you’re feeling really daring, a molecular cocktail making lesson. You can book a session on the website, and the Laboratory can be found on Green Street, near Trinity College.
Bat Safari Punting
At first glance, a bat safari on the river might sound more terrifying than titillating, but it’s actually a unique, fascinating experience. After boarding your punt, your guide will supply you with warm blankets, and then point out bats as the punt wends its way down the Cam towards Grantchester. Tours meet at Granta Place Boatyard and run from May to July. You can book on Scudamore’s Punting website, and visitors are encouraged to bring their own drinks.
The Pint Shop
Beer drinking is woven into Cambridge’s DNA, and the Pint Shop is one of the best places for it. Built out of a Grade II-listed building (EM Forster’s old house, in fact), it features one of the most beautiful dining areas of any restaurant in the city and has a diverse, interesting menu to complement the wide range of local beers. You can find the Pint Shop on Peas Hill, just two minutes from the Grand Arcade.
The Varsity Hotel Roof
Londoners might find some similarities between the Varsity Hotel’s rooftop bar and the ones you might find around hipster Shoreditch or Dalston. While not as lofty as the kind you find in the capital, it still offers an amazing view, complemented by a varied drinks menu. The Varsity sits on the bank of the Cam, just south of Jesus Green.
Exhibitions at the Locker Café
Cambridge natives will be familiar with Clown’s, a hugely popular local haunt that sadly closed down in 2017. Happily though, it was replaced by the Locker, a quaint, attractive little art café that has exhibitions running year round. You can find the Locker on King Street, next to Fellows’ Garden.
For a daytime date, Grantchester is hard to beat. Between the beautiful Meadows, the famous Orchard Tea Garden and the numerous pubs (all with beer gardens), you can while away hours in this gorgeous suburb. Several buses run from the centre to Grantchester, taking around 15 minutes.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.