The city of Newcastle has plenty to offer on its own, but why not explore further afield? Read on to find five exciting day trips all within an hour of the city.
If you’re after a day trip with plenty of character and heritage, Durham is perfect. With plentiful cobbled streets, medieval bridges and the beautiful River Wear cutting across the city, there’s more than enough to gaze at. Throw in the famous Durham Cathedral, castle and tower, and you’re on to a winner. Tip: Head to the top of the Cathedral’s tower for stunning panoramic views of the landscape ahead of you.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Angel of the North
A 15-minute drive (or 30-minute bus ride) from central Newcastle is Antony Gormley’s Angel of the North. This iconic 20-metre tall steel sculpture was completed in 1998 and stands on the hill of Birtley, overlooking Tyne and Wear. Gormley states that the angel stands for three ideas: Firstly, to signify that, for two centuries, coal miners worked below ground at the site. Secondly, to represent transition from the industrial age to the information age, and, thirdly, to serve as “a focus for our evolving hopes and fears”. The sculpture has a wingspan of 54 metres, is made of 200 tonnes of steel, and can withstand winds of more than 100 miles per hour.
Less than an hour’s drive from the city is the historic Hadrian’s Wall. A World Heritage Site since 1987, Hadrian’s wall is the best preserved frontier of the Roman Empire. The Wall was over seventy-three miles long and boasted 80 milecastles and 17 larger forts and is thought to have taken fifteen-thousand infantrymen around six years to complete. Visitors can take in the Roman Army Museum, explore Corbridge Roman Town, or head to Ravenglass Roman Bathhouse. There are numerous golf clubs, swimming pools and outdoor sports facilities in the area, as well as the chance to ride along Hadrian’s Cycleway.
A one hour train journey from Newcastle Central station takes you directly in to the city of York. Home to the York Minster, one of the world’s most magnificent cathedrals, as well as Clifford’s Tower, built by William the Conqueror. Visitors can view Lowrys, Turners and Hockneys at York Art Gallery before indulging in some sweet treats at the York Chocolate Story attraction. The Yorkboat offers tours along the River Ouse, showcasing the city’s fascinating history and architecture, while the York Dungeon offers you a window into the less savoury side of York’s past. With its own designer outlet, an independent market open seven days a week and over 200 restaurants to choose from, York is well worth a visit.
For some peace, quiet, and sea air, make your way to Tynemouth. Just 20 minutes by car, or thirty-five by bus, this seaside town has plenty to offer. The beaches offer the perfect setting for a wide range of watersports, and the picturesque North Pier juts out into the North Sea, capped with a stone lighthouse. The undercover markets offer the chance to browse some vintage books or clothing or tuck into some street food, or for a bit of history head out to Tynemouth Priory and Castle, home to a 13th century chapel and fully restored gun battery and cannons.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.