Travelling with children can be a stressful experience. The plane is often the most challenging part of the trip, but fear not – here are some useful tips from child and adolescent psychotherapist Joanne Higgins that will make the journey fly by.
Don’t worry about the noise levels
Nearly three-quarters (72%) of parents mentioned that this was the most stressful part of travelling with young children, with many aware that it could irritate other passengers, and some even saying that fellow travellers ‘can be quite grumpy’ about it.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Often the parent is more aware of the disruptive behaviour than other passengers are, but remember that other people are usually understanding, and that an apology (if needed) can also go a long way.
Psychotherapist Joanne Higgins suggests: ‘Children are generally far more active than adults and usually less inhibited when it comes to keeping quiet. It would be unrealistic for them to remain quiet unless they happen to be sleeping, so try not to worry too much about noise.’
Enjoy quality time with your family
While it’s recommended to rest up on a long-haul flight, don’t worry too much if your child is unable to sleep, or to restless to try. Most planes now offer in-flight entertainment systems, perfect for keeping children entertained.
Joanne advises seeing the journey as an opportunity. ‘The concentrated amount of time spent together on a plane journey gives the availability for families to spend quality time in one another’s company,’ she explains.
Take a deep breath and communicate
The temptation to react negatively to squabbling siblings or toddler tantrums can add further challenges to an already stressful situation.
Joanne adds: ‘If children become irritable or distressed, this is likely to add to feelings of pressure that may already be around for parents. It’s worth remembering though that behaviour is a form of communication. Children may use behaviour as a way of alerting parents when they need their attention.
‘Under the pressure of feeling embarrassed in a public place parents may understandably just want their child to conform, but taking a few moments to notice and respond more fully to what is going on may prove more helpful in resolving the situation.’
Have a few tricks up your sleeve
Pack your carry-on carefully, and make sure you have some comforts to help your child feel at home. This could be a favourite toy, a blanket, a colouring book or tasty snacks. Ensuring that you have a few items to keep them entertained and distracted will make for a smoother travelling experience.
Its also important to prepare young children for what to expect. Joanne notes: ‘This may be something to talk about prior to a journey, as a way of preparing children for what to expect. How much to talk to a child about this will depend on their age and their curiosity about it.’
Prepare in advance
Holidays are an exciting time for all the family, but the process of getting through the airport and onto the plane can be stressful. Remember, the entire family is likely to be out of their comfort zone, feeling nervous as well as excited.
Joanne advises that: ‘Parents have a lot to bear in mind when trying to remember everything needed for a journey. If parents can decide beforehand between themselves how they will manage and share tasks on the day of travel, they are more likely to feel relaxed themselves and this will influence of how the children feel.’
For more tips and tricks to make travelling with children easier, check out this comprehensive guide from Florida4Less. For more travel hacks, check out the ultimate guide to saving on airfare and today’s top travel bloggers sharing their vacation advice.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.