Dining out in Weston-super-Mare? Our guide to the quintessentially English seaside town’s best restaurants presents the very best local venues, from fish and chips and delicious cafes, to contemporary Japanese cuisine and traditional Greek food.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Hadleys at Number One
Serving fresh, seasonal cuisine crafted from locally sourced ingredients, Hadleys at Number One specialises in modern and traditional dishes with a creative twist. Try tempting starters like chicken, bacon and sun-dried tomato terrine with salad and fruity chutney, and tasty mains, including pan-roasted duck breast on a bed of butternut squash with orange and star anise jus. Hadleys’s popular breakfasts – think full English breakfasts and freshly baked croissants – are served daily, and on Sundays guests flock to sample the restaurant’s delicious, traditional roast dinners.
What could sum up seaside town dining better than traditional fish and chips? Head on down to Papa’s for some of Weston-super-Mare’s most popular. Choose from battered cod, haddock, plaice or skate all dished up with a hearty portion of chips, and served alongside other chippy classics like scampi; for the more adventurous, Papa’s cod roe comes highly recommended. Papa’s also serves fare like burgers and fresh pies, and diners can customise their meal with extra sides, including mushy peas, baked beans and pickled egg.
Demetris Taverna is a traditional Greek restaurant. It’s the perfect place for an evening of authentic Greek food like the sheftalia starter (a traditional Cypriot sausage made with pork and spices) and Demetris’s specialty main, anixiatikon – lamb slow-cooked with oregano, feta, mushrooms, brandy and cream. Finish off with a glass of ouzo for the perfect accompanying aperitif.
For some of Weston-super-Mare’s best Italian food, Il Michelangelo’s is a popular choice. Using only the finest, freshest ingredients, Il Michelangelo’s team of native Italian chefs craft tempting dishes like tagliatelle gamberoni with king prawns, spring onions, cherry tomato sauce and a touch of chilli. Of course, the meal wouldn’t be complete unless topped off with a classic Italian dessert: homemade tiramisu or chocolate cream-filled profiteroles topped with white chocolate sauce should do nicely.
The Grove Bistro
The Grove Bistro has gained a loyal clientele for its relaxed ambience and delicious, affordable fare. Its menu is simple and concise: try the oven-baked pear with goat’s cheese and cherry drizzle starter; the grilled pork loin steak main with pink peppercorn and brandy sauce; and the strawberry filo tower dessert (layers of strawberries, cream and sugared filo pastry with a lemon zest sauce). Popular with the pre-theatre crowd, The Grove Bistro is just a short walk away from The Playhouse.
From beautiful biryanis and bhunas to tasty tikka and tandoori – it’s no wonder that Panache is one of Weston-super-Mare’s best-loved Indian restaurants. A sleek and modern dining room welcomes guests to sample a range of all-time favourites like kormas, jalfrezis and vindaloos. Fans of spice will love the nag curry made with fiery naga chilli, while the tangy satkora, made with Bangladeshi citrus fruit, is another tempting option. A good few vegetarian specials, including banaras aloo (potatoes, peas and chickpeas in a spicy sauce), are also served.
Duets is a local go-to for fine dining venue with a distinct European twist. Classy but cosy, Duets’s understated, chic dining room sets the tone for sampling exquisitely crafted dishes like pancetta-wrapped breast of guinea fowl with a tarragon and pistachio stuffing, served on sauteed spring greens, or the sun-dried tomato risotto with broad beans, asparagus, truffle oil and parmesan shavings. Weekly fish specials made with produce from Brixham Fish Market in neighbouring Devon include dishes like grilled sea bass with lemon butter and samphire, and popular roast dinners are served on Sundays.
Tarantella is a popular, family-run restaurant specialising in Italian cuisine. Start with the antipasto misto (a plate brimming with Italian bites like Parma ham, salami, peppers, mozzarella, olives and sun-dried tomatoes) before moving on to a hearty pasta or pizza main – the tagliatelle with smoked salmon in a creamy tomato sauce and the ham, mushroom, tomato and mozzarella-stuffed calzone are two tempting options.
The Milton Larder
The Milton Larder – a family-run cafe specialising in locally sourced grub – has carved itself a niche in Weston-super-Mare’s dining scene. The Milton Larder is the perfect stop-off for a breakfast or a light lunch, with a menu of regular dishes complemented by daily specials like soups and burgers. Diners with a sweet tooth are in luck, too: The Milton Larder serves homemade cakes and other treats baked fresh daily, with regularly rotating options such as coffee and walnut cake or sticky toffee pudding.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.