You feel like the inside of a dirty sock. Your head has a hedgehog crawling around between your ears, you mouth is dry and you have the sneaking suspicion that you accidentally live-storied your guilty late-night cheesy chips.
But fear not, we have the solution. Culture Trip have bravely compiled the world’s best hangover cures and investigated each one to discover what REALLY works.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
13. Rubbing a lemon on your armpit, Puerto Rico
As you have to do this before you go out drinking, we’re not sure it’ll help much. But you will smell citrus-fresh, so perhaps that will cheer you up.
12. Sparrow droppings in brandy, Hungary
The logistics of collecting sparrow droppings seem sketchy, to say the least.
11. Pickled Sheep’s Eye in Tomato Juice, Mongolia
The tomato juice sounds pretty good. The sheep’s eye, on the other hand, is definitely adding nothing.
10. Kokoreç, Turkey
After a night on the raki, Turks tuck into a dish made from lamb or goat intestines with seasoned offal such as sweetbreads, hearts, lungs or kidneys. While the vitamins and minerals you get from this are probably pretty good, let’s just say that it’s definitely not vegan. It’s often served in a sandwich.
9. Picocita, Guatemala
This is a can of beer into which you add some chopped onion, a sliced jalapeño pepper, some white wine vinegar and water, salt, the juice of a lime, and a dash of Worcestershire sauce. Because it’s the dash of the sauce that really makes it delicious.
8. Sheep brains, South Africa
If you survive a night out in Johannesburg, try the local delicacy of sheep brains to get rid of your hangover.
7. Haring met uitjes, Netherlands
Haring met uitjes is a whole herring preserved in vinegar, served with onions. If you’re used to it, we’re sure it’s tasty.
6. Buffalo milk, Namibia
This doesn’t contain any buffalo milk, but instead is cream mixed with rum and liquor. It’s basically a bit like a boozy milkshake. Sounds comforting, to be honest.
5. Revuelto Gramajo, Argentina
No one’s quite sure who this cure from Argentina is named after – some say a colonel, others say a government official. One thing is for sure, it’s delicious, and consists of chips, ham and scrambled eggs.
4. Sauna, Finland
Finns recover after a night of akvavit by sweating it all out in a sauna and whacking themselves with birch branches. Mmm, refreshing.
3. Umeboshi, Japan
These salty, sour pickled plums were once thought to be so restorative that they were included in a samurai’s rations. A couple of them will sort you right out.
2. Coconut water, Sri Lanka
A traditional thambili (king coconut) is what Sri Lankans have turned to after a heavy night out. A little hard to come by outside of Sri Lanka, regular coconut water is a reasonable substitute.
1. Full English, United Kingdom
The one, the only, the best. Eggs, bacon, sausage, fried bread, black pudding, tomatoes, mushrooms, toast and tea. The full English breakfast is ‘kill or cure’. Scottish, Irish and Welsh versions are also available.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.