London recently saw a charitable artistic event launch called ‘Travels to My Elephant’, which is billed as once in a lifetime rickshaw (Tuk Tuk) race that is due to take place in India later in the year. As part of the campaign London will see rickshaws designed by various artists grace the streets. From June onwards these rickshaws will help raise awareness for the charity before the epic race which will be taking place in November 2015. Each Tuk Tuk will be given an artistic identity by an esteemed artist. International award winning artist Alex Echo is one of the people helping this venture succeed. An artist who has experienced his fair share of struggles, he grew up in Denver, Colorado, and is one who has never ducked away from a challenge. He has been commissioned to design one of the Tuk Tuks which will be auctioned off by Sotheby’s along with a large original painting. These are 5 of Alex Echo’s finest pieces to date.
Escape at Midnight 1 Blues
Escape at Midnight 1 Blues is a really magnificent piece constructed by the usage of vibrant colors to highlight the mood of the sky at night. Escape at Midnight is rare, due to the limited availability and has been finished off with great precision. ArtMarket.co.uk is amongst one of the art galleries in the UK to have it in stock.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Reflections & Ripples Study No.4
This piece originated due to Alex’s appreciation of the Earth we reside in. ‘Reflections & Ripples Study No.4’ offers a reflection of his love affair with earth, nature and water. In order to show his appreciation, he wanted to contribute in more ways than just visual enhancement. He did so by deciding to contribute all his royalties from the art pieces to Water Aid UK. By doing so, he could give back to, in his own words, ‘This beautiful earth, its oceans, rivers and lakes which dazzle my eyes daily.’
Into The Night
When speaking of this piece, the artist commented, ‘Who doesn’t like butterflies?!’. He went on to state that butterflies flying alone seem to have some sort of quiet dignity. He then linked these dignified butterflies to the Royal Air Force, to whom he was trying to pay homage.
Elemental Source 32
Again revisiting the elements of the earth, this work uses a palette of colors that have been weaved into an art piece using his own perspective. The piece sets a precedent as to how to use colors to highlight a variety of emotions.
Elemental Source Study No.4
Amongst his latest pieces comes a holistic attempt at ‘Capturing the tiniest snapshot of the infinite ballet of quantum miracles that lay before our eyes every single second of our lives.’
This piece is really inspired by the nature that surrounds us. Once again, the royalty money that is earned by this collection will be distributed to Water Aid.
You can see more of Alex’s work (along with other famous artists) at ArtMarket, which is an art gallery specializing in graphics and contemporary fine art. Click here to view their location on Google Maps.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.