2017 has been blessed with a slew of outstanding television shows. And whether it was the creepy 80’s aesthetic of Stranger Things or the full-blown haute-couture costumes in The Collection, there was ample style inspiration too. As the biggest-ever TV production, The Crown came back for season 2 in all its regal splendour, while Joan Didion’s documentary provided major literary glamour. Culture Trip looks back at the most stylish TV shows this year.
Joan Didion: The Center Will Not Hold
Moving and celebratory, the Joan Didion Netflix documentary not only told the story of her momentous work but also brought viewers her androgynous, timeless style. The author, who has previously fronted campaigns for Céline, provided ample inspiration through her oversized suit jackets and the way in which she consistently sported sunglasses – whatever the occasion.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Big Little Lies
Starring Nicole Kidman, Reese Witherspoon, Shailene Woodley and Zoe Kravitz, Big Little Lies was never not going to deliver on style. Valour tracksuits, cream cashmere jumpers and satin, floral gala dresses mixed with Shakespearian-like drama and beautiful Malibu beaches offered a potent concoction to ease the remarkably rendered tension throughout the series.
This feminist Western TV series mixed on-trend retro Americana with some heavy vintage looks (read: 1884). The Netflix drama has all one needs from a classic Western show: sheriffs, epic horse-riding scenes and gory shootouts.
The latest from The Wire creators George Pelecanos and David Simon, The Deucetells the story of Times Square’s underground scene in the 1970s. Full of fabulous flares, cream two pieces and leather jackets, the show received mixed reviews but more than delivers on retro style.
Celebrating the origins of the women’s wrestling scene, GLOW puts bright lycra and big attitudes at the centre of the ring – with some leg warmers and headbands thrown in for good measure. Seriously fiery style to match a fiery show.
The Handmaid’s Tale
The red cloaks and white bonnets from The Handmaid’s Tale were one of the most iconic pairings of the year, offering a striking emblem for a dystopian age that strongly resonated with many. Red also happens to be the colour of the season, which makes it even more apt.
Master of None, Season 2
It was easy to fall in love with the Italian-inspired season 2 of Master of None, and not only because of Alessandra Mastronardi’s (Francesca) presence. From the chunky knits that Dev and Francesca wear when they’re snowed in to the oversized boyfriend shirts to the polka dot dress and matching shearling coats – there wasn’t a moment when this show didn’t nail the mix of old-school Italian glamour and energetic American style.
The Crown, Season 2
Reportedly the biggest budget ever spent on a TV show, The Crown is set during the first decade of the Queen’s (Claire Foy) reign, focussing on her relationship with Prince Phillip (Matt Smith). Costumes perfectly evoke the monarchy in 1940’s Britain, with exact replicas of dresses and suits. It’s Elizabeth II’s crown, though, which takes the throne. If you like Downtown Abbey, you’ll love this.
Stranger Things, Season 2
80’s style was flawlessly nailed in spooky Netflix hit series, Stranger Things. From Eleven’s (Mille Bobbie Brown) pale pink shirt dress, Joyce’s (Winona Ryder) boyish, cord jacket in tan and Nancy’s (Natalia Dyer) shearling jacket with high-waisted jeans through to Mike’s (Finn Wolfhard) buttoned-up polos, Lucas’s (Caled McLaughlin) camo bandanas and Dustin’s (Gaten Matarazzo) array of trucker hats – the cast were perpetually on sartorial point. All so necessary when battling a monster from the underworld.
Highland fashion came to Amazon Prime in this weird and wonderful romance/time-travel hybrid. The phrase ‘bodice ripper’ could have been invented for this show, with plenty of tight corsets, baroque costumes and, of course, kilts.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.