Europe has a fantastic variety of surfing all across the continent, from the icy waters of northern Scotland to the balmier conditions of the Canary Islands. Culture Trip picks out some of the very best beaches to surf throughout Europe.
Situated in Donegal, Ireland’s northernmost county, there are a number of brilliant surf spots near the town of Bundoran, in Donegal Bay. The beach at Tullan offers the most reliable and consistent conditions, suitable for surfers of all abilities, but those seeking a bigger challenge should head to ‘The Peak’, which has a brilliant reef break at low tide. In autumn and winter conditions you’ll need a hooded 5mm wetsuit, or at least add a hood, booties and gloves to your regular suit. In the summer, though it isn’t warm, you can leave the accessories and stick with a 5mm, or even 4mm, wetsuit.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
In the Basque region of France, close to the border with Spain, Biarritz is one of Europe’s surfing hotspots and one of the best in the world. Cliffs dissect 6km coastline to form six beaches, all of which lend themselves to high-quality surfing. As such, there are also plenty of local surf schools to aid development. For a large chunk of the year just shorts and a rash vest is fine, while for winter 2mm or 3mm short-sleeve and long-sleeve wetsuits are the way to go.
San Sebastián, Spain
Home to international surf competitions, Zurriola beach is the place to head to in this part of Spain, which, like Biarritz, is close to the Spain-France border. The beach offers great breaks regardless of the tide, and there are also plenty of facilities located nearby, including changing rooms, showers, bike racks and plenty of places to eat and drink. Autumn swells require a thin westsuit, but boardies and rash tops are perfect for the summer.
This is probably Cornwall’s best reef break, and as a result it can get fairly busy, but the crowds are worth it. This offers a consistent swell and produces large tubes, but surfers should be careful because at low tide it can get dangerously shallow. If you’re brave enough to go in winter then 5mm suits, gloves and booties are required.
North Canyon Beach, Portugal
Quite simply, the waves here are gigantic. The 5,000m canyon off the coast causes huge breaking waves to form, some reaching as high as 100ft. While the waves attract big-wave surfers eager to test their mettle, there are other parts of the beach that have more accessible offerings. As with most of the Portuguese coast, a 3mm wetsuit will suffice to maximise autumn swells.
This is an almost terrifyingly chilly spot that has become known as the ‘Cold Hawaii’ – a hooded 5mm suit, as well as gloves and booties, are an absolute must. This part of Denmark has a number of brilliant surf spots, but Klitmøller is the best. The winds make it popular with windsurfers, and the area is known for events and competitions.
Portrush, Northern Ireland
The Portrush West Strand is one of the most popular places to surf in Northern Ireland and is fantastic for beginners, but the ‘Blackrocks’ reef offers bigger and tougher waves that suit more experienced riders. The alternative is the East Strand which requires greater skill than its western brother. Although you could get away with a standard 4mm suit in warmer months, generally you’ll need gloves, booties and a hood given the temperatures.
East of San Sebastián, this little fishing village near the city of Bilbao offers a testing dangerous wave that is at its best between low and mid-tide. The excellent left-hand barrel forms extremely quickly, and it’s probably best to head there in the autumn, when conditions are at their best and a 3mm wetsuit will be more than enough.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.