Birmingham has been at the forefront of Christmassy events for quite some time now, despite staying slightly under the radar. For example, did you know the largest authentic German Christmas market outside of Germany and Austria comes to the city each year? Read on to discover some of the most festive things you can do in the UK’s second city this Christmas.
Birmingham’s Frankfurt Christmas Market
The Frankfurt Christmas Market runs from November 16 right up to Christmas Eve this year, which means you can feel even more Christmassy for longer! Whether you’re mad on hitting up the trinket stalls, love joining in with the festive singalongs on Victoria Square or enjoy nothing more than sipping on a Glühwein or a pint of Weissbeer, there’s something for everyone at Birmingham’s Frankfurt Christmas Market.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Digbeth Après Ski Party
Situated on Digbeth High Street is Birmingham’s oldest inn, The Old Crown, which dates back to the 14th century. Across the final three weekends in December ’17 before Christmas, the popular pub turns in to a fully-fledged Après Ski Party – complete with falling snow, pine trees and a cosy heated ski lodge marquee with fur-lined benches. You don’t even need to leave the B postcode to get a taste of the Alps this Christmas. Tickets are available here.
Ice Skate Birmingham & the Big Wheel
New for Christmas 2017, Ice Skate Birmingham is a mini winter wonderland of sorts. Now the new home of Birmingham’s Big Wheel, the Eastside City Park attraction also houses an all-new, covered ice skating rink, a funfair, heated bar and loads more. This is perfect for the entire family, just try not to have too many beers before you hit the ice…
Christmas carol services
It wouldn’t be Christmas without a carol service, and thankfully Birmingham offers quite a few of them. Whether you’re after the traditional setting of a cathedral or just want to belt out some Christmas classics at the German Market, there are several options to choose from. Check with a local cathedral or church to see whether they are partaking in Christmas carols this year.
📍 Various locations, Birmingham, United Kingdom
Go Christmas shopping
Not only does Birmingham boast one of Europe’s biggest shopping centres in the Bullring, it’s also home to a number of independent shopping centres and arcades. It goes without saying that everybody needs to get involved with a bit of Christmas shopping – whether you like it or not – and this city is full of wonderful places to pick up those much sought-after gifts. So whether you’re looking for something special in Selfridges, some killer clothes in the Great Western Arcade, or you just want to treat yourself and give something back to the local traders in Piccadilly Arcade, a festive-looking Birmingham’s got you covered.
Alpine Christmas Markets
A brand new fixture to Brindleyplace Central Square this Christmas is the Alpine Christmas Markets, which run right up to December 23. Keeping with the Alps theme, this set of markets offers traditional live music, chalets packed with Christmas treats for sale and some festive hot and cold drinks to keep you going too. It’s on from 11am-9pm daily.
Visit the Reindeer Park
In Sutton Coldfield, just on the borders of Birmingham, lies the Reindeer Park. This family-orientated guest lodge, campsite and caravan park is home to a number of reindeer which visitors and guests can come and see in the run-up to Christmas. They are also available to hire should you be hosting a private event!
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.