Though Liverpool is often famed for its waterside features, the city also houses a number of parks and gardens to relax in or for simply escaping the busy city. Here are some of the best.
A truly historic green area, Sefton Park is arguably the most loved park in Liverpool. Lying south of the city centre, this Grade I listed site features a range of monuments and is both Green Flag and Green Heritage awarded. Whether you’re after a spot of relaxation on the 235-acre site or want to check out the park’s important monuments, such as the Victorian bandstand that supposedly provided inspiration for a Beatles song, Sefton Park is a city favourite. Various festivals and outdoor events also take place here, such as Liverpool International Music Festival (LIMF) each July.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Calderstones Park is one of the best parks for a family afternoon in Liverpool. The 94-acre green area is home to a lake, miniature railway, Japanese gardens and a one-thousand year old oak tree. There is also a cafe and ice cream parlour for when those little legs get tired!
Wavertree Botanic Gardens
With plenty to do including a children’s play area, walled botanic garden and the Grade II listed Curator’s Lodge, everyone in the family is catered for at Wavertree Botanic Gardens. This 19th century park played a part in the early cultural life in Liverpool, before its botanic glasshouses were bombed in World War 2. The Gardens were first opened in 1836 and remain an important part of the city’s history today.
Croxteth Country Park
An ideal family day out, Croxteth Country Park takes you away from the hustle and bustle of a busy city centre to a relaxing and versatile green area. Not only does the park house a wealth of wildlife, it’s also home to Croxteth Hall, Home Farm and Walled Garden, adventure playground, horse riding park and there’s even a 5km running route around a free outdoor gym. Worn out from a busy day? Head to Larkin’s Cafe at Home Farm or the Old Riding School Cafe for a bite to eat or a coffee.
Everton Park Nature Gardens
For those who want to catch the best view of the city, head to Everton Park. With a heritage trail, nature garden, children’s play area and an outdoor gym, it has something for everyone. Tip: head here at sunrise or sunset and marvel at the beautiful skyline ahead of you.
Otterspool Park & Promenade
For more stunning views of Liverpool, Otterspool Promenade – and its accompanying park – sit on the River Mersey banks. For those who enjoy walking, join the promenade route at either end, Aigburth or Albert Dock, and enjoy your natural surroundings. Along the route there’s an adventure centre and a couple of pubs for pit stops!
Famously the park that separates the city’s two famous football clubs, Liverpool and Everton, Stanley Park is a wonderful Grade II listed park with a number of historic features and lakes. Most prominent of the monuments is the Isla Gladstone Conservatory, a picturesque spot which often hosts weddings and conferences. While Stanley Park might seem tranquil on the whole, you may want to avoid it on Saturday afternoons if you’re looking for peace and quiet!
St James Mount and Gardens
For a Liverpool park packed with historical architecture, St James Mount should be right up your street. Situated on the grounds of the city’s Anglican Cathedral, this Grade I listed garden was formerly a cemetery and offers a tranquil retreat in stunning surroundings. The garden also boasts a natural spring, catacombs and a stone arch.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.