You don’t have to travel to Paris for a romantic weekend away; there are plenty of places in the UK that were seemingly created with couples in mind. From idyllic woodlands to coastal villages, here are 13 of the most romantic spots in the country.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Sail on the lakes at Windermere
The Lake District is one of the most romantic places in the UK, especially if you love to spend time outdoors. If you choose just one part of this beautiful national park for an idyllic getaway, head to Windermere; here, you can spend time walking around the lake, admiring the views or hopping aboard a boat for a cruise on the lake at sunset. When it comes to an intimate dinner for two, there are many places from which to choose. For a spot of fine dining with a view, visit Holbeck Ghyll, or for a casual al fresco supper, take a picnic basket and a bottle of champagne down to one of the wooden jetties and gaze up at the stars.
Wander the woods of the New Forest
Stepping into the New Forest is like walking into the past. First designated as a royal forest in the Domesday Book, the protected area is home to many species of flora and fauna that can’t be found anywhere else in the UK. The winding paths through the trees and low valleys also make for an incredibly romantic weekend away. Set off hand in hand to explore the woodlands and keep an eye out for the famous New Forest ponies.
Dine on oysters in Whitstable
It’s said that oysters are the ultimate aphrodisiac and there’s nowhere better to put this theory to the test than in Whitstable. This beautiful coastal town in Kent has been a pilgrimage for seafood-lovers for centuries due to the quality of its oysters. Whitstable even holds a festival in July that honours the oysters and the visitors they’ve brought to Whitstable’s shore. After a day of sunbathing and swimming on the sandy beaches and wandering through the quaint town, stop and share a plate of these briny delicacies, straight from the sea.
Immerse yourself in the Fairy Pools on the Isle of Skye
The entirety of the Isle of Skye is among the most romantic places in the UK, filled with beautiful scenery and remote, hidden corners for you to explore. If you’re searching for the best place for a picturesque stroll (or maybe even a proposal), head straight to the Fairy Pools, a series of blue and green rock pools and small waterfalls that are truly enchanting. They’re also one of the best spots on the island for a spot of wild swimming, although you and your loved one will have to visit early in the morning or late in the evening to have the place to yourselves.
Explore the quaint village of Bourton-on-the-Water in the Cotswolds
The Cotswolds are filled with beautiful villages, but none are quite as romantic as Bourton-on-the-Water. Sat on the banks of the River Windrush, this village is teeming with traditional stone cottages, pretty bridges and charming little shops. The abundance of greenery and trees lining the banks of the river make it the perfect setting for a relaxing country stroll followed by a cosy meal for two, snuggled up together by the fire in an idyllic rural pub.
Discover the unique flora of the Tresco Abbey Garden in the Isles of Scilly
Tucked away on the island of Tresco in the Isles of Scilly, the Abbey Garden is among the most incredible (and romantic) gardens in the UK. Established in the 19th century, it’s brimming with a wide variety of plants, trees and flowers, including many species that can’t be found anywhere else in the country. Spend an afternoon walking through its paths with your loved one while taking in the views from the highest terraces and uncovering plenty of hidden little nooks and crannies to share a moment alone.
Visit the colourful Portmeirion in Wales
There’s nowhere else in the world quite like Portmeirion. Designed and built between 1925 and 1973, this unusual tourist destination in North Wales was built in the style of a traditional Italian village, bringing a hint of the Mediterranean to the UK. The town is filled with colourful buildings and quirky touches, but if you’re hoping for a romantic moment to yourself, head down to the beach or explore the clifftop path.
Relax and rejuvenate in the spas of Bath
The entire city of Bath is soaked in history. Designated a Unesco World Heritage site, it’s been a place of rest and relaxation since the Roman times. In the Georgian era, it became famous for the supposedly curative properties of its waters, and today, many people still flock to this lovely city to escape from the hustle and bustle of modern life. Take your loved one for a couple’s massage and some relaxing treatments, guaranteed to let you take a breath and reconnect.
Live out your own Regency romance at Chatsworth House in Derbyshire
Set in the heart of the Peak District, Chatsworth House is probably the most romantic stately home in England. Green fields and beautiful woodlands surround the house, which is set on the banks of the River Derwent, overlooking the scenic countryside. Fans of Pride & Prejudice (1813) will remember the house from its mention in the novel, and viewers of The Crown will recognise some of the locations from the TV drama. For an idyllic day out, take your time to explore both the house and its gardens, admiring the intricate detail of the interior and the grandeur of the grounds.
Climb through the clouds at Arthur’s Seat in Edinburgh
For a romantic day out in Edinburgh, you’ll be spoilt for choice with so many quaint streets and charming restaurants at your disposal. To truly appreciate the city, however, head up high and take on the challenge of climbing the peak of Arthur’s Seat. The walk itself isn’t too gruelling and can be taken at a slow pace, allowing you to stop and admire the views along the way. At the top, take some time to sit, gazing at the beautiful city far below.
Find a secluded corner at the Hampstead Heath Pergola in London
It can be hard to find a romantic spot in London as it’s almost impossible to discover a hidden corner that you can have to yourself. But for some peace and quiet with your loved one, head to Hampstead Heath, bypassing the usual crowds of tourists, and seek out the Hill Garden and Pergola. This particularly enchanting corner of the city is at its most vibrant in the warmer months when foliage covers the raised walkway, providing the perfect shelter for a stolen kiss. The gardens aren’t well-tended and the air of faded grandeur adds to the romantic ambience of this hidden treasure.
Take scenic photographs at Durdle Door in Dorset
There are miles upon miles of beautiful coastline to discover in the UK, but nowhere is quite as romantic as Durdle Door. Among the most photographed landmarks in the country, the instantly recognisable natural archway offers beautiful vistas both from up on the cliffs and down on the beach. On a sunny day, bring your towels and enjoy an afternoon swimming in the sea together, or take a stroll along the cliffs, stopping for a picnic and admiring the views.
Discover the myths and legends of the Giant’s Causeway
The Giant’s Causeway is among Northern Ireland’s most visited attractions and it’s not hard to see why. The weathered coastline gives way to towering hexagonal columns of basalt rock. A Unesco World Heritage site, it was formed around 50 to 60 million years ago during intense volcanic activity; however, Irish myth says it was created by a giant, the mighty Fionn mac Cumhaill, to fight a Scottish enemy. Whatever the origin, the Giant’s Causeway is staggering in its beauty and is the perfect destination for a romantic weekend away.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.