With hundreds and thousands of renowned and up-and-coming designers currently out there, it can be difficult to source the real deal. We’ve done the legwork for you and pulled together a list of the British designers that need to be in your fashion arsenal.
Burberry of London
With its unmistakable check pattern, trench coats and scarves being worn by everyone from Barack Obama to Kate Moss – it goes without saying that Burberry has been a staple on the catwalk for years. Yorkshire-born chief creative officer Christopher Bailey may only have been recently made president, but having worked his way up in the company since 2001 – and previously heading up womenswear at Gucci in Milan – it’s safe to say that the future of Burberry is bright.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Central St Martin’s graduate, Molly Goddard, has certainly made a name for herself, thanks to her quirky womenswear designs (note: chiffon princess dresses – you never thought you wanted one until now) and spectacular shows. She’s fast rising in the industry and one you should definitely have on your radar.
Having worked for industry heavyweights including Marc Jacobs and JW Anderson, Sadie Williams has since branched out to create her own critically acclaimed collections, full of bold, feminine prints and masculine silhouettes.
Expect the catwalk to sparkle thanks to her signature metallic look and Swarovski-laden garments, courtesy of her being awarded a place in the Swarovski Collective 2017, this LFW.
Bold, brash, loud and incredibly proud, Vivienne Westwood‘s designs are as fiery as her trademark hair. Heavily influenced by music and the punk era, Westwood’s nihilistic designs break the rules, inspiring fun and encouraging wearers to let loose and showcase their individuality. Showing no sign of slowing down anytime soon, acquaint yourself with this style legend and embrace your own uniqueness.
An advocate of fun-loving designs and faux fur, Shrimps – aka London-based designer Hannah Weiland – mixes modern art with playful patterns and textures to create her clothes.
Having showcased Victoriana-inspired dresses and cow print coats for A/W 2017, all eyes will be on Shrimps this September to see what the designer has in store for the S/S 2018.
Epitomising all things feminine and bohemian, Temperley London, founded by Alice Temperley in 2000, is an absolute must-know for the fashion-forward. Her intrinsically British collections are nothing short of dreamy, boasting stunning embellishments and intricate tailoring, grabbing the attention of fashionistas across the globe.
Pringle of Scotland
Hailing from Hawick in Scotland and founded by Robert Pringle, Pringle of Scotland has been designing and creating the finest in knitwear since the early 19th Century. Pioneers of fashion since then, Pringle of Scotland is famous for its use of luxury wools and cashmere, continuing to give luxury knitwear a name and cementing its relevance in contemporary fashion.
House of Holland
Rightly branded as the King of the slogan t-shirt, Henry Holland‘s tongue-in-cheek designs have catapulted his brand, House of Holland, into the limelight, loved by quirky individuals looking to make a statement with their clothes.
Inspired by the cosmopolitan capital of the UK, Holland’s styles draw their inspiration from the boldest of characters that line its streets, reflecting their loud and passionate personalities through his collections. If you like having fun with your sartorial choices, House of Holland has got your back.
Multi-award-winning designer Julien McDonald has grabbed the attention of some of fashion’s most iconic folk (yes, including Karl Lagerfeld) from the very get go back in the ’90s. Having worked for the likes of Chanel and Givenchy and made a name for himself among some of the most high-profile A-Listers in the world, Julien’s name is in the very foundations of British Fashion and is certainly one to get clued up on.
Combining floral embroidery and beautiful fabrics encapsulates the heart of this blooming designer. Relatively new to the game, Alice Archer has already captured the attention of fashion icons and the media alike, and has been labelled as one of London’s most exciting and talented designers. Definitely one to keep your eye on this LFW.
Purveyor of the Swinging Sixties, we can all thank Quant for the decade’s signature garments, including the ribbed jumper, shift dresses, hot pants, and (albeit some debate) the infamous mini skirt. This self-taught designer and seamstress started small, but with determination managed to create some of the most iconic and timeless fashion pieces ever. Branching into interior design and eventually stamping her mark on the cosmetics industry, Quant’s story is still one of massive influence to current designers and budding fashionistas alike.
Another industry heavyweight is Stella McCartney. The eponymous fashion house oozes quintessentially British style with a punch. Covering everything from fur and leather-free garments, shoes and handbags to the most delicately designed lingerie and swimwear, Stella’s designers are very wearable and versatile, all with a sustainable heart.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.