So you want to start collecting art, but think you can’t afford it? Guess what—you don’t need that kind of negativity in your life! It is more than possible to buy art on a budget and it’s even more fun than buying something that’s already famous.
The name of the game when it comes to starting an affordable art collection is ’emerging.’
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Emerging artists, aka up-and-coming artists, are normally artists who have just graduated from art school and are beginning their professional careers. Pre-emerging and emerging art is always much more affordable than work by artists further into their careers. Also, investing in the emerging is quite exciting as it can yield a fantastic return.
Whatever you do, resist the urge to buy prints and posters! Original artwork is where it’s at and it’s more accessible than you may realise.
A fantastic new digital platform giving the world access to affordable and original pre-emerging and emerging art is AucArt founded by Natasha Arselan. The website is the world’s first online auction house specialising in early career contemporary art, specifically by artists between the final year of their degree, up until three years post graduation.
Being online, the works on AucArt are easy to access and browse from wherever you are in the world and the sales are curated by top art world professionals, so you know what you are looking at is always going to be worth the purchase. For those who don’t have the patience for an auction, you also have the option to just ‘buy now’ à la eBay. The pricing is super transparent too, with the price achieved published on the site which is a rarity in the art world. Plus, with works starting at just a few hundred bucks, the platform really provides something for everyone.
A less curated, but equally fruitful source to find pieces to jumpstart your collection is of course Instagram. Most emerging artists are pretty active on the platform, so follow a bunch and take your time to decide which work you really connect with. Once you have a feeling for an artist you like, go ahead and slide into their DM’s and let the magic happen from there.
Another great way to find affordable emerging art is at university degree shows. Although you will have to trek to these babies in person, they take place a couple times a year at most of the world’s art schools and tend to be a really lovely way to spend an afternoon or evening. An artist’s degree show is likely when their work will be at it’s cheapest, so it’s the prime time to buy and have a chat with the artist face-to-face to really understand what their oeuvre is all about.
For more personal connections and buying opportunities, alternative exhibitions presented by the artists themselves are always a good way to find affordable work too. Before an artist is repped by a gallery, their work will be much more affordable and artists can get very creative with where they host their shows.
London-based emerging painter Oliver Malin for example, has an upcoming exhibition of paintings done on pizza boxes. Entitled Takeaway Dreams, the pop-up show will take place at an iconic northwest London kebab shop.
Not having a show in a traditional gallery space allows for a more affordable experience for everyone, and to be honest, the event will probably be a lot more fun than a typical exhibition too. So basically, it’s the art version of having your cake and eating it too.
Whatever your preference, online or in person, you can afford to start your art collection and the sooner you do so the better. Remember, an emerging artist does not stay emerging forever and as long as you buy what you love and stay within your comfort zone when it comes to price, this will be a purchase you’ll never regret.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.