Liverpool is one of the most-visited cities in the UK thanks to its wealth of attractions, bars, restaurants and of course, its history. Whether you’re in Liverpool for just a day or a little longer, here are some suggestions for spending 24 hours in the city.
Bold Street lies in Liverpool’s Ropewalks district and is proudly home to a lot of independent businesses. As it’s so central, we can’t think of anywhere else for a spot of shopping and a bite to eat. At Maggie May’s you can sample a bowl of Scouse stew – Liverpool’s finest delicacy – or for a more continental flavour try Lucha Libre, American Pizza Slice or Bakchich. Meanwhile, LIV, a new organic food market, heads to Bold Street in April 2017 and is set to offer a range of fresh fruit and vegetables and an artisan bakery as well as home and body products.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Once you’ve had a bite to eat, head across to Seel Street to enjoy drinks at a range of cool city bars and venues. Whether you’re looking for a gig at the Arts Club or Zanzibar, cocktails at The Peacock or a right old Irish knees up at O’Briens (on the corner of Slater St), you’re guaranteed to have a great night on Seel Street.
We can’t think of anywhere better to end your night than at Krazyhouse, one of the city’s most-loved clubs. Offering 2-for-1 drinks every night and keeping entry prices low, this three-floor club is home to rock, indie, dance and pop music as well as arcade games and a pool room!
For breakfast, there are a large amount of well-respected haunts in Liverpool, but one of the best is without a doubt The Tavern Co, just off Penny Lane. This restaurant won the UK’s Best Breakfast for two years in a row (2014, 2015) so there’s something really special happening here! For something slap bang in the centre of the city you’d do well to head to Cafe Tabac or Leaf on Bold Street, while 81 Renshaw offers a tasty veggie fry up.
Liverpool’s Georgian Quarter is not only one of the most picturesque settings in the city thanks to its array of Georgian town houses, but is also great for arts. On a weekend, you could head to the Everyman Theatre and catch one of the latest productions in a unique environment, or relax in the quaint yet historic Falkner Square.
The Georgian Quarter backs on to Hope Street which is bookended by two famous cathedrals. At one end, the world’s second largest Anglican Cathedral dominates the skyline, while at the other end it’s the Metropolitan Cathedral, bearing its 1960s ‘futuristic’ style. Both cathedrals are within walking distance but in architectural terms they are light-years apart.
Liverpool has a whole world of things to see and do but we can’t think of anything better to end your stay in the city than Albert Dock. With the largest collection of listed buildings anywhere in the country, this maritime attraction is home to museums, galleries, bars and restaurants. Whether you’re looking to check out the Tate Modern or simply unwind at one of its many bars before heading off, you’re well looked after here, that’s for sure.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.