Currently bobbing around north Cornwall’s coastline, somewhere near Newquay, Ross Edgley is almost a third of the way through his attempt to become the first person to swim around the entire country.
Having left Margate on the 1 June, Ross Edgley is well into his 2,000-mile swim around Great Britain. The idea for this challenge came about when Edgely discovered that, although it has been attempted, no one has ever managed to swim the entire circumference of the island. That was enough of a reason for him.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Although the fitness expert will be taking breaks, he won’t touch land until the challenge is complete. The swim is split into six-hour sections, alternating between being in and out of the water. After each six-hour swim Edgely’s stop-off point is marked by GPS before he climbs into his support boat to eat, sleep, rest and go through rehab and physio. After six hours in the boat, he picks up where he left off in the water. The record will only be complete when he passes the point that he started at.
Before the swim began, Edgeley predicted it would take 100 days to complete, and see him swimming 30-50km – roughly the length of the English Channel – every day. He is swimming through the day and night, with the intervals planned in such a way that he can use utilise the strong currents that surround Britain. He will clock up more than 2.4 million strokes and require close to one million calories in the process.
Edgely has experience when it comes to this type of endurance challenge. Having played water polo for Great Britain and started his own nutrition company, he moved into the world of adventurism and the challenges began.
In 2016 Edgely completed the World’s Strongest Marathon, a standard 26.2 mile marathon, except for the fact that he was pulling a 1.4 tonne Mini Countryman the entire way. He rope climbed the height of Everest, all 8,848 metres of it, and swam the 40km between Martinique and St Lucia while dragging a 100lb tree (although unpredictable currents meant he actually ended up swimming 100km and wasn’t able to reach the end point). Back in Britain, he embarked on a challenge with the help of the Royal Marines, swimming solidly for 48 hours just to see how far he could go – 126km, as it turned out.
While nobody has circumnavigated the entirety of Britain’s coastline before, in 2013 Sean Conway swam from Land’s End to John O’Groats up the west coast of the island, becoming the first person to complete the 900-mile distance. Conway ran and cycled the distance too, completing the ‘ultimate triathlon’. This year, he cycled a 3,890-mile route across Europe, from Portugal to Russia, in just under 25 days.
It takes a special kind of person to take on such challenges, and Edgely won’t complete his until he reaches Tower Bridge some time around the end of August. Anyone wishing to monitor his journey can track his progress here.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.