Winter is coming, and that means Christmas isn’t far behind. With series seven of Game of Thrones not airing until late spring 2017, we’ve a long wait. So in the meantime here’s a round up of the best GoT kitchenware Christmas gifts for your Lord or Lady, just don’t massacre anyone at the dining table. Oh, contains spoilers.
Sausage chopping board
Ramsay Bolton may have met his demise in series six (I really wanted Ghost to kill him while Ramsay’s own hounds cowered in fear of one of the last remaining direwolves) but if you’re a fan of team Bolton’s erm, habits, then this chopping board is a must for your pork sausage.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Longclaw in the kitchen
As part of a wider campaign to promote Northern Ireland as the home of GoT, Tourism Ireland have commissioned three Valyrian steel kitchen knives from a blacksmith (no, he’s not seen Gendry either). Sadly these are the only examples, but you can view them in the Ox restaurant in Belfast.
However, it seems that George RR Martin may have based Valyrian steel on a super strong metal alloy developed in the Middle East, known as Damascus steel. What’s more, like Valyrian steel, the knowledge of how to make real Damascus steel has been lost. The next best thing is this Kikuichi Elite Warikomi Damascus Tschime Chefs Knife. But remember, as The Hound says, ‘only c**** name their swords!’
From Joffrey’s wedding pie to The Queen of Thorns’ lemon cake, there’s plenty of bakes in GoT. If D&D were crowning anyone ‘star baker’ however, it’d have to go to Hotpie. Not only does he make a mean kidney pie, but he’s also good at making direwolf biscults. This Christmas, you can do the same with this official HBO House Stark sigil silicone cake tin or these Houses of the Seven Kingdoms cookie cutters.
I drink, and I know things
Ah, where would this show be without the Lannister’s boozing? From Tyrion binge drinking to Cersei’s constant cup in hand, it seems the Lannister’s like to hit the bottle. If you’re partial to the odd glass too, then a House Lannister wine glass are for you.
King’s Landing not your thing? Then this genuine horn mug is perfect for toasting ‘Da King Of The Norf!’ As for what to put in it, Vivino have tried to map real world wines onto regions in Westeros and Essos (Dorne, for example, produces reds similar to Spanish Ribera Del Duero). We await with anticipation a drinkable version of Tormund’s fermented goats’ milk.
Game Of Thrones Dragon Egg Canister
Keep cookies and biscuits safe and secure from your rampaging Dothraki horde in this hand-painted ceramic dragon’s egg cookie bin. This one’s modelled on Rhaegel’s egg apparently. These would make a great wedding present too.
Planning a good meal takes military precision, so you might need these Game of Thrones map marker salt and pepper shakers. A Westeros table cloth is sure to follow soon.
Well, the table’s all set, but what about the food? We suggest A Feast of Ice and Fire: The Official Game of Thrones Companion Cookbook. The book contains lots of sumptuous dishes worthy of a Lannister wedding, or, indeed, a wake.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.