Art-adorned townhouses and sea-spying stays provide budget-friendly bases in England’s beautiful South West.
Cornwall has a whole host of hotels with affordable price points, but more perks and privacy than your traditional budget-traveller base. Fancy staying in a former convent with worship-worthy stained-glass windows? How about a clifftop retreat where you can soak in a copper tub? From city-centre boltholes to beachfront bases, there’s something to suit every cash-strapped traveller. Here’s our pick of the best in Cornwall.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Run by husband-and-wife team Lynne and Andy, The Lerryn is well-placed for exploring Falmouth’s seafront, harbour and 16th-century Pendennis Castle. Rooms reflect the hotel’s maritime surroundings with a chic twist, from the scalloped headboards to the repurposed ship lights. There’s a great selection of breakfast options including hot and cold dishes, and well-behaved dogs are warmly welcomed.
With an enviable position just above Padstow harbour, this revamped Victorian hotel has a fun feel. The decor is vibrant and contemporary, with bright, printed furniture and modern artwork. The restaurant has estuary views and showcases a menu with a seafood slant. Rooms range from cosy singles to suites and are tastefully styled in bold shades of blue. There’s even a heated outdoor pool, if the Atlantic doesn’t appeal.
A short walk from the centre of Truro, The Alverton was once a convent. It’s now a stylish hotel with an award-winning restaurant, plus stained-glass windows, a bell tower and curved archways that’ll have you counting your blessings. Rooms are divided between the main house and the courtyard: all feature luxury touches like copper baths, rose-patterned headboards and White Company toiletries. Sample the signature chateaubriand at dinner or sip cocktails on the terrace.
Sitting above sandy Summerleaze Beach, The Beach at Bude is perfect for sea lovers. Spend the afternoon surfing the nearby breaks or kick back with a cocktail on the ocean-facing terrace. There’s a neutral colour scheme in the rooms, with coral cushions providing a splash of colour. The heart of the hotel is in the lively bar, while former MasterChef contestant Jamie Coleman sends out delicious, locally sourced dishes from the kitchen.
Offering affordable accommodation and a convenient location in the heart of Truro, the County Arms has a modern style and friendly feel that outweighs other budget bases. Its 33 rooms include double, twin, family and superior rooms, and some have pretty woodland views. The food is hearty – proper burgers accompanied by local ales, weekly roasts (with veggie options, too), and full fry-ups. They also serve their own blend of coffee, Brewer & Bean, using 100 per cent arabica beans.
Locations don’t come much more dramatic than this. Standing on a cliff on the rugged Lizard peninsula, Polurrian is a cool retreat with floor-to-ceiling sea views. Rooms – including twin and family options – are bright and contemporary, while the luxurious villas offer extra space and privacy. Facilities include a restaurant with a wood-fired oven, an indoor pool, a health club and spa with Elemis treatments and bespoke yoga classes.
There’s a relaxed atmosphere and friendly vibe at The Escape, located in the heart of Newquay. It’s a great choice for budget-conscious groups of friends and is located less than a five-minute walk to the beach and shops. The bar is open until 3am and there’s free parking, handy for such a central location. Hungry? Dinner is usually artisan pizzas or Thai, while a full fry-up will get you going in the morning.
For more inspiration, discover our guide to the best hotels in Cornwall and the best hotels in Penzance, bookable on Culture Trip. Looking for the perfect lover’s weekend away? Take a look at our guide to most romantic hotels in Cornwall. Taking a few extra travellers with you? Culture Trip’s got you covered with our collection of Cornwall’s best pet and family friendly hotels.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.