Travel isn’t how it used to be. No longer do you stay in hotels, unquestioningly take the recommendations of a concierge or stay on resorts without ever seeing the country you’re visiting.
Today’s travellers are experience-hungry and expert researchers, knowing where they want to take that perfect Instagram shot before the plane even lands.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
With the world becoming more like an easily navigable village every day thanks to the global sharing of consciousness and experience, Culture Trip explores how this is deepening our awareness and easing our access to authentic local moments.
We’ve sought inspiration from Adobe Stock’s multi-localism visual trend to discover how to be a multi-local traveller, rather than a tourist.
If you’re abroad
It’s all very well getting to know one area like the back of your hand, but what if you could get to know a second during your limited time on holiday? A great way to become a multi-local traveller is to switch up where you’re staying halfway through your trip. Staying in two different places for a few days at a time means you get to know double the amount of people and you’ll probably have double the fun.
Stay away from big tourist attractions
Unless they’re something you’re dying to see, you’ll get a much better sense of a place if you head away from the city centres crammed with tourist all trying to take selfies with Big Ben or the Taj Mahal. Explore the neighbourhood where you’re staying instead. Discovering a local hotspot, specialist museum or picture-perfect street is much more satisfying than queuing for an hour to glimpse a famous landmark over the crowds of backpacked tourists.
Learn the language
You don’t have to become fluent overnight, but taking the time to learn a few well-chosen words or phrases can make the difference between sticking out like a sore thumb and being welcomed like a local. Showing that you’ve made the effort to assimilate yourself shows willingness and citizens will appreciate that you’re trying. You could also try using an automatic text translation app so you don’t have to ask for English menus and reveal yourself immediately as a tourist.
If you’re at home
Multi-localism extends well beyond travel. You can apply increased consciousness and trying new experiences to your home town as well. Head to a coffee shop on your street that you’ve never tried before or go to a new exhibit at a local museum to experience your town in a way you never have before – the world is filled with ways to absorb cultures from around the globe. Take the World Cup, where 32 countries play on a pitch cheered on by the world. This unique blend of passion and identity hasn’t gone unnoticed and has been captured by 20 creatives across Europe. Check out Gordon Reid’s Weird World Cup series, which brings together some of the World Cup’s most memorable moments created using Adobe Photoshop and Creative Cloud.
Bring back your experiences
If you experience something on your multi-local adventures that you like, bring it home with you! From traditions that become your own to ingredients that you eat and love, this brings worldly experiences to the comfort of your own living room.
Connect with people online
By following accounts and hashtags relevant to the place you’re visiting, you can discover like-minded people and get some great recommendations about what to see when you’re there. If you comment on people’s photos, you might even get in touch with someone you can meet up with while you’re there. Try watching the Instagram stories tagged to a location to see what other people in the city are up to.
Share your journey
Let the world see what you’re doing! By sharing your story, you’ll inspire others to explore the same places you’re enjoying. Tag the spots you’re visiting, become part of the online conversation and connect with others through Instagram, Twitter and Facebook. You could even start a dedicated travel blog or account where you can focus on the people, places and things you’re keen to experience. Adobe Stock has great images you can use as inspiration for your own feed and, even better, you earn money by becoming an Adobe Stock contributor.
Adobe Stock offers a highly curated collection of inspiring and visually impactful assets sourced from the world’s leading photographers, designers and content creators – perfect for designers and visual storytellers who are looking for exceptional ways to tell authentic stories.
This diverse marketplace of royalty-free assets is uniquely and natively integrated within Creative Cloud, saving you time and enabling uninterrupted creativity so you can search and license high-quality assets without ever leaving your favourite apps.
Stock like Only Adobe can. Get 10 free images here.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.