The world of adventure travel is usually dominated by men, but there are countless inspirational women out there who are challenging perceptions. They climb mountains and run across whole countries, stick it to the man and live a life of wonder. Once a year, some of these women come together at the Women’s Adventure Expo in Bristol to build each other up, tell stories and motivate each other to get outside and experience all that life has to offer. Here are just six of those amazing British women.
Beth went from wheelchair-bound to world-class athlete and has pushed her limits further than she ever thought possible. In 2012, she swam the English Channel and was home in time to tuck her son into bed. She’s faced sharks in deep water, trudged on through deep seas with an injured shoulder for 12 hours and beaten M.E. with sheer determination. She was the first person to cross the Scilly Channel and first British female to cross the Molokai Channel in Hawaii. Beth is honest, frank, a total inspiration and someone who was humble enough to know when it was time to go home.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Anna has adventure in her bones, and although she’s run the length of New Zealand and cycled through both the Andes and every state in America, she’s modest, laughs at herself and thinks that everyone should be getting away from their computers and into the outdoors. Anna believes this so much that she’s created The Adventure Queen Grant, which funds one woman’s adventure, however great or small. Anna is never far from taking on her next challenge.
Cal is one serious nature lover. Not only does she SUP and surf, but she’s also a vet and a pioneer for the end of single-use plastics. She has SUP’d over 260 around the coast of Cornwall and North Devon in strong headwinds and currents to engage with people and raise awareness of the damage plastic is causing to our beaches and oceans. Recently, Cal SUP’d solo around the remote and untouched coast of the Isles of Skye with her Paddle Against Plastic campaign.
Sian is a blogger, writer and award-winning travel journalist who knows that big adventures aren’t always possible but that the simple act of getting outside and breathing in fresh air is enough of an adventure from the 9 to 5. Whether that’s in the form of sleeping in a van on the cliffs of Cornwall, wild swimming in fairy pools or wandering the coast path, Sian stresses the importance of just getting out there. That’s not to say that she will shy away from the extreme; Sian has recently jumped into arctic waters in Greenland, surfed in Sri Lanka and slept on a suspended ledge off the coast of Dorset.
Antonia Bollingbroke Kent
Antonia has driven a pink tuk-tuk from Bangkok to Brighton, has gone totally off the beaten path in Arunachal Pradesh in India and come up with many extreme adventures for The Adventurists. Antonia travels slowly and deeply to remote corners of the world, learning about people in places where nobody usually ventures. She’s got bucket loads of stories from Borneo to Burma, each one filled to the brim with the kindness of strangers.
Not only has Mollie summited Mount Everest twice, but she done it from both the south and the exceptionally hostile north face. Mollie was one of the youngest British climbers to stand on top of the world, the youngest woman in the world to summit from the north side and first English woman to successfully summit from both sides. Mollie is not someone to be taken lightly. Read her tales of mountains, altitude and exhaustion; she makes it all almost seem easy.
Oh, Squash! Squash was the first British woman to fly from the top of Mont Blanc and is a confident, lovely, adventurous female bonanza of inspiration. She skis, she hikes, she climbs, she paraglides, she talks to large groups of people to get them to get out there and follow their dreams. We love you Squash, we do!
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.