From top to bottom Britain is beautiful, filled with a diverse range of people, places, histories, languages, and cultures. Some, things, though, are shared by all Brits. Here’s our take on the 21 things only a true Brit would do – as told by a Canadian.
1. Declare that a torrential downpour constitutes a lovely day for a walk.
2. Be anti-Royalist but think the Duchess of Cambridge is the definition of human perfection anyways.
4. Be fiercely loyal to your local pub, even if it’s not actually the oldest one in London/the Midlands/the North.
5. End a friendship upon discovering that the friend in question puts the milk in first, and leaves the tea bag in…
6. Being Scottish/Welsh/Northern Irish, and getting enraged when people say they love your English accent.
7. Know the best places to get the perfect pint – London’s overpriced pubs aren’t the only places to unwind!
8. You’ve never been to Stonehenge, despite it being a national treasure and one of the most-visited archaeological and tourist sites in the world.
9. Queue – your life may not depend on it, but the moral fibre of this nation does!
10. Respect the glorious sanctity of Pancake Day, regardless of your love/hatred/antipathy towards religion.
11. Care more about Eurovision than about your uni exams you should probably be revising for.
12. Ask if others can ‘believe the weather’, like it’s religious practice (though talking about it practically is!).
13. Know that making someone a hot cup of tea is the perfect response to good news, bad news, and even no news at all.
14. Being able to pick out a tourist purely by which side of an escalator they are standing on.
15. Know that London, while fabulous, is by no means the only place to see amazing palaces, galleries, art, architecture, or history – from Land’s End to John O’Groats, this country is brimming with culture.
16. Become sickeningly excited at the thought of free wifi coming to trains, even if you’re only on it for an hour.
17. Despair at the thought of Scotland leaving the union, despite having never been there.
18. Go to the pub for a quick pint, and find yourself still there a week later – ready to start all over again!
19. Grab a cheeky Nando’s before dinner.
20. Understand how Nando’s can be ‘cheeky’ in the first place.
21. Feel lucky that, despite being small in size, Britain is full of endless awe-inspiring landscapes, scenery, history, culture, and people.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.