With 2017 nearly over, Culture Trip looks ahead to next year and picks out just some of the amazing destinations we hope to visit. Warning: scroll down for serious wanderlust-inducing images.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
1. Atlantic Canada
Pristine nature, amazing gastronomy and sporting adventures await on Canada’s Atlantic coast. Hunt icebergs in Newfoundland, sleep in an enchanted forest in New Brunswick, kayak around Kidston Island by moonlight and dine on the ocean floor in Nova Scotia.
2. Shanghai, China
One of the world’s most energetic and glamorous cities blends the old with the new to stunning effect. Art Deco buildings sit alongside opulent Chinese mansions overlooked by towering sci-fi skyscrapers. Experience the city’s engaging nightlife, spirited fashion and design scene, and passion for what’s new and next.
Explore ancient sights and lost cities in Jordan. Sleep in a Bedouin tent and dine underneath the stars in the Wadi Rum desert. Explore Petra, one of the new wonders of the world, and bathe in the therapeutic waters of the Dead Sea.
4. Kekexili, the Tibetan Plateau, China
Often considered the world’s ‘Third Pole’, Kekexili recently became a UNESCO World Heritage site. Explore alpine mountains and rolling steppe systems at nearly 15,000 feet above sea level. During the summer months, witness the migration of the endangered Tibetan antelope.
5. Mexico City and the Yucatan
Incredible, world-famous architecture await in Mexico City – the first North American metropolis to win the accolade of World Design Capital. Head east and explore Mayan ruins at Chichén Itzá in the Yucatan Peninsula and snorkel through a fascinating exhibit of submerged sculptures at underwater contemporary art gallery, MUSA.
6. Johannesburg, South Africa
Explore Soweto and Maboneng and visit the former residence of Nelson Mandela on Vilakazi Street. Take a day trip to Maropeng, the cradle of humankind where the fossils of our earliest ancestors were found, and extend your stay with a safari on a private game reserve like Bakubung Bush Lodge.
7. Aysén, Chilean Patagonia
Truly reconnect with nature on Northern Patagonia’s final frontier. Trek past colossal glaciers, snow-capped peaks and jagged fjords in one of the most sparsely populated regions on earth. Adventure awaits.
8. Tasmania and Western Australia
Though it’s often and inexplicably overlooked, the island of Tasmania has lots to offer. There’s an intoxicating mix of rugged wilderness, culture and gastronomy, not to mention award-winning vineyards to rival the mainland. Head across to Western Australia and spend the night in Ningaloo Reef to sand dive with whale sharks at dawn.
9. Comporta, Portugal
Comporta is pure escapism. Forget your worries in the villages on Portugal’s Troia Peninsula. Let the hours roll by while exploring the unassuming cobbled streets and sprawl out on the quiet beaches.
10. Utah, USA
Utah is one of the ultimate road trip destinations. Logan Canyon National Scenic Byway boasts miles of uncrowded scenery with dramatic limestone cliffs, wildflowers and the Logan River. Go see the iconic barns of Mormon Row at Grand Teton National Park and visit Yellowstone, the land of ‘fire and brimstone’ in the caldera of an ancient volcano.
This magical country is a natural paradise and one of the best places in the world to safari. Track chimpanzee and gorilla, observe tree-climbing lions and herds of elephants, and gawp in amazement at the thousands of bird species that call Uganda home.
12. Emilia Romagna, Italy
The success of 2017’s Call Me By Your Name has reignited interest in one of Italy’s most beautiful and romantic regions. Not only are Bologna and Parma, long considered the gastronomic capitals of Italy, located in the area, there’s also the idyllic town of Crema, the setting for Luca Guadagnino’s masterpiece, to explore.
Take the cable car up to El Alto at 13,500 feet for a bird’s-eye view of La Paz. Trek through the Sub-Andean strip of the tropical Andes between Peru and Bolivia. Head south to Valle de la Luna (Moon Valley), an otherworldly landscape part of the Reserva Nacional Los Flamencos.
14. Valencia, Spain
Bursting with natural beauty, culture and adventure, the region provides much more than sun and fun on the Mediterranean coast. There are 35 museums to explore, including the Oceanogràfic, which is home to more than 500 species of marine life. Head outside the city for hiking, kayaking, horse riding and cycling in Castellón.
15. Valletta, Malta
As the European Capital of Culture for 2018, Valletta is experiencing widespread regeneration and will soon have a new national museum of fine arts, design cluster and covered food market. The Maltese capital’s longest, narrowest thoroughfare is also getting a makeover and that’s before we’ve even mentioned all the stunning nearby beaches.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.