If you’re bored of standard date night activities and are looking to spice up your weekends with your other half, then you’re in luck. If you’re in Devon that is. Here is a round up of some fun date ideas for those of you visiting, or living in, the mighty county of Devonshire.
Did you know – Culture Trip now does bookable, small-group trips? Pick from authentic, immersive Epic Trips, compact and action-packed Mini Trips and sparkling, expansive Sailing Trips.
Trains, planes and automobiles
Okay so there’s no ‘plane’ part, but you can explore South Devon and the South Hams by steam train, river boat and bus all for the price of £25. Start your journey in Paignton, Dartmouth, Kingswear, Totnes or Torquay and hop on your steam train, boat or bus to visit each pretty town and coastal village, stopping for G&Ts and cream teas along the way. Perfect!
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
This shabby looking hut along the Avon Estuary is far from shabby when it comes to food. This is Devonshire dining at it’s absolutely best with fresh food and a more than relaxed atmosphere – perfect for date night!
The Gnome Reserve
This one is a little out there, but the Gnome Reserve is a kitsch and fun afternoon out. Wander the garden, take pictures with the gnomes and enjoy the gorgeous flowers. Wearing a gnome hat as you wander isn’t compulsory, but great for your Instagram story.
Cookery Course at River Cottage
Get together to learn how to cook properly at River Cottage HQ in Axminster. All the cooking courses at RCHQ are hands on and cover anything and everything from butchery, to foraging, and shoreline fishing.
Lying 12 miles from the Devon coast, Lundy Island feels a world away from the humdrum of real life and is an unforgettable day trip from the mainland. Although the island is only three miles long and half a mile wide, there is a hugely diverse range of things to do, from wildlife spotting to climbing. If you would like to stay longer, there are options for accommodation.
Go on a wine tasting tour
There are a surprising amount of vineyards in Devon and most of them offer wine tastings and guided tours of their grounds. If you’re a couple that are into cheese then a visit to Sharpham Wine and Cheese must be put to the top of your list. You can take part in a cheese and wine tasting session before taking your time to wander the sloping vines which eventually reach the River Dart.
Who needs a bunch of flowers when you can have a whole garden? This Royal Horticultural Society garden in Devon is truly beautiful, and a calming way to spend a day together. But this place is more than a garden and has so many places to explore that you’ll want to come back again and again.
Go chasing waterfalls
Waterfalls are pretty beautiful and beautiful places make for great date locations. Whether you’re visiting the Whitelady Waterfall and Devil’s Cauldron at Lydford Gorge, hiking up the cliffs to the top of the manmade Canonteign Falls or heading to Becky Falls, you are in for gorgeous woodland strolls and stunning views.
The village of Clovelly which clings onto the side of the cliff is one of Devon’s greatest attractions. The steep hill and cobbled stones mean that residents must drag their shopping up and down the streets in sleighs and there are no vehicles at all. Stroll all the way to the harbour and indulge in a pint and a pastie before taking the long slog back up to the top.
Self-guided tour of Riverford Field Kitchen
Riverford Field Kitchen prides itself on fresh organic veg and a fresh organic farm. You can take a self guided tour of the farm, with an MP3 in tow, and learn all about how the place works. If nothing else, it’s a beautiful walk with a really good café at the end, and food is always a winner on dates!
Take a hike on Dartmoor
Whether you are intrepid or sedate, there really is a walk on Dartmoor for every fitness or enthusiasm level. Hike across what feels like Middle Earth to Yes Tor, amble through the woodland near Cadover Bridge, or scramble to the summit of Hay Tor for epic views and some proper bonding time.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.