Guilty pleasures. We all have them. And never are they more prevalent than at Christmas.
While you know you should be watching Citizen Kane or finally getting into Breaking Bad, we’ve assembled the films that you REALLY want to watch over the holidays – the cheesy, non-threatening cousins of decent cinema. So sit back, relax and pay around 10% of your attention to these films that you definitely won’t admit you watched.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
White Christmas (1954)
Watch when: You’ve just booked tickets for the panto
A old-time classic. Four stage performers get together to perform a Christmas show in Canada. While there, they run into the performer’s commander in Word War II, who is in financial difficulties – his quaint country inn is failing. What are the group to do but put on a fun-filled yuletide extravaganza to buck up his business?
12 Dog Days Till Christmas (2014)
Watch when: You’re getting excited about spending time with your parent’s pooch
A troubled foster kid finds out that the animal rescue centre where he works is closing, and he has 12 homes for all the unwanted dogs.
Christmas Crush (2012)
Watch when: You bump into your hot high-school ex in the supermarket queue on Christmas eve
Twenty-something Georgia pines for her old boyfriend and is excited to get given a second chance at love when they both attend their high-school reunion. This has an alternative title: Holiday High School Reunion.
A Christmas Star (2015)
Watch when: You’re weepy after your third glass of sherry and need something to cry to
Little Noelle was born underneath a Christmas star and says she can perform miracles. When trouble comes to her town, it’s up to her to save the day.
A Christmas Prince (2017)
Watch when: You’re into the second day of your office party hangover and can’t get over that your work crush spurned you
An aspiring journalist is sent undercover to find a scoop on a handsome prince. But she ends up finding a lot more than she bargined for.
Christmas Eve (2015)
Watch when: You’re despairing at how seemingly incompatible your extended family is
A power cut forces six eccentric New Yorkers to become stuck in elevators in the city, forcing them to consider their life choices. This actually has Patrick Stewart in it, so might be at least slightly justifiable.
Mariah Carey’s Merriest Christmas (2015)
Watch when: You just found the perfect festive outfit and you feel fabulous in it
The one and only Mariah Carey hosts a celebrity-studded holiday celebration, with a reading of The Night Before Christmas.
Santa Claws (2015)
Watch when: You’re wrapping your 17th present of the day and have a bad case of sellotape thumb
When Santa has a bad reaction to a gift bag full of kittens, the moggies step up to deliver Santa’s presents on time.
Christmas Ranch (2016)
Watch when: You accidentally reverted to your moody teenage self when your mum asked you to take the bins out
A wayward teen who is sent to her grandma’s ranch for Christmas bonds with the horses and finds a mission: to save the ranch from bankruptcy.
Holiday Baggage (2008)
Watch when: You’re feeling sad that Christmas isn’t as good as it was when you were a kid
A Christmas holiday provides the chance for a married couple to reconnect with their daughters and rekindle lost love.
Christmas in the Smokies (2015)
Watch when: You’re so full of Baileys and stilton that you can barely move from the sofa
In the Smoky Mountains, a career woman tries hard to save her family’s berry farm. But then her ex, a country music star, comes back to town and sparks fly.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.