For a long time, the majority of Ukrainian names originated from the times of Kievan Rus. But after the Christianization of the state, people started to adopt Christian names and adjust them in accordance with the language rules. For example, one of the most common and beautiful names Alex is known as Oleksandr in Ukraine.
Zorayna is a female Slavic name that has several interpretations. The first one comes from Ukrainian and means “a clear star” (zorya). However, the second implies a different spelling – Zaryana and translates the name as “a dawn.” Zoryana has ancient roots; it was a widespread name during the baptism period in Eastern Europe. It still remains popular.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Ivan and Ivanna
The name Ivan comes from the old Hebrew John and means “pardoned by God.” This name came into use with the adoption of Christianity in Kievan Rus in the 10th century. In Ukrainian literature, one can also observe iterations of the name with Ivasyk, Vanya, or Van’ka. For the name Ivan there are female alternatives like Ivanna or Johanna.
Bohdan and Bohdana
The literal translation of name Bohdan is “given by God” or “God’s gift.” Thus, one can see the Ukrainian word for God—Boh, and an adjective for given—danyi. After the advent of Christianity, this name was used for a boy whose birth parents were expecting with great impatience. Despite an ancient origin, the name is not included in the list of Catholic and Orthodox saints. As in the case of Ivan, there’s a female option—Bohdana.
The origin of the name Michael is associated with words translated from the ancient Hebrew language as “one like God” or “equal to God.” It is a Ukrainian version of the Western Michael. Thus, this name is widespread in Christian countries and honoured by Archangel Michael. The saint is considered to be heavenly patron of Kiev and the winner of evil spirits, which in Christianity were considered a source of diseases.
Roksolana is a traditional Ukrainian name that means “a woman from the Roksolan tribe.” In the Middle Ages, in the Turkish and European documents, the term Roksolania and Roksolans were used to name Ukraine and its originators. Interestingly, one of the most popular women in the history of Ukraine was named Roksolana. She is also known as Anastasia Lisovska, a daughter of the Ukrainian priest or Hurrem Sultan – a wife of the Turkish Sultan Suleiman the Magnificent, who was protecting the motherland from numerous attacks of the Ottoman Empire.
Rostyslav and Rostyslava
Rostyslav is a Slavic name that consists of two words “to grow” (rosty in Ukrainian) and “glory” (slava), therefore it has different variants. More often one can meet the meaning of the “one, whose glory grows,” but there’s also an interpretation of the “growing glory.” It is yet another name that originates from the Kievan Rus and is associated with the ruling of Prince of Kiev Rostyslav. Also, as a term of endearment, one usually says Slava for both male and female (Rostyslava).
Vira is Ukrainian female canonical name that is derived from the Old Slavonic language. In translation, it means “faith” and is often related to the ancient Greek word, which is translated as “ministry to God” and “belief.” Moreover, it is considered one of the universal Christian saints along with Hope (Nadiya) and Charity (Lubov). In childhood, Vira usually called Viron’ka or Virochka. Some people believe it may be an abbreviation of Venus or Veronica, but in Ukraine, Vira is itself a common name.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.