Planning a weekend trip to Ukraine and have only $100 in your pocket? Don’t worry! That’s absolutely enough to feel like a millionaire. For UAH 2,800 (hryvnias) you will enjoy exquisite cuisine, have fun in the poshest bars and forget about public transport.
There are three touristy cities in Ukraine. All have a lot of sightseeing and entertainment to offer. If you love bustling crowds and ancient history, head to the capital, Kiev. For more relaxed, European city with cobbled streets and cozy coffee shops, make a beeline to Lviv. But if you like to visit bars and nightclubs at night and have lazy leisurely days afterwards, sunny Odessa in the south is where you need to go.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Where to stay
Compared to many other cities in the world, Ukrainian accommodation is cheap and good quality. A comfortable room with breakfast can be booked for approximately $40. IF, for example, you choose Kiev Hotel in the administrative district of the capital, you will have the Mariyinsky Park, Ukrainian Parliament, National Bank, Supreme Court of Ukraine and the main street, Khreshchatyk, within a 5-minute walk.
A post shared by GAGARINN HOTEL ODESSA (@gagarinn_hotel) on Sep 12, 2017 at 9:39am PDT
Hotel Gagarinn in Odessa is known for its exquisite interiors, and is located in Arcadia (one of the most prestigious areas of the city). It is within walking distance to the Odessa beaches, numerous cafes, restaurants and nightclubs.
For just $25, you can get a suite in one of the oldest and most historically valuable hotels of Lviv, George Hotel. It is located in the very heart of the city, overlooking the famous Opera Theatre and the main street, Svobody Ave.
What to eat
In recent years, the dining culture of Ukraine has become highly developed. Locals have become real gourmands who know a thing about good food and proper service. Therefore, most restaurants try to attract customers with delicious cuisine and affordable prices. The menu at Kiev’s Kanapa Restaurant, established by famous restaurateur Dima Borisov, combines traditional dishes with elements of molecular cuisine. For just $15, you can order a three-course lunch: a portion of tasty vareniki (filled dumpling), rich borscht with salo (pork fat) and a dessert.
A post shared by Kanapa Restaurant (@kanapa.restaurant) on Dec 13, 2017 at 10:16am PST
Other cities also offer an incredible choice of restaurants. For just $7-10, at Lviv’s Restaurant of Meat and Justice or Baczewski Restaurant, you can get a huge plate of meat with a side, as well as beverages. In Odessa, seafood lovers can enjoy fish, shrimps and oysters for the same price. Book a table ahead at Bernardazzi or Grand Prix for one of the best dinners of your life.
How to have fun
The nightlife in Kiev, Odessa and Lviv is quite different, but equally engaging. Kiev hosts the poshest parties, with electric and jazz music, and bottomless signature cocktails for less than $5. Just head to central Kiev and sample the bars along the way.
Odessa is best in the summertime. You can sunbathe in a relaxed atmosphere by day, and seamlessly transition to nightlife without changing the location. For instance, Bono Beach Club or Ibiza Beach Club allow visitors to swim in the pools during the day and have a cocktail with live music after sunset. The entrance fee for the whole day varies from $8 to $15 per person.
A post shared by Bono Beach Club Odessa (@bonobeachofficial) on Jun 29, 2017 at 1:14am PDT
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.