Ukrainian street art has spread far beyond the Kiev scenery. Today, the city of Kharkov is another artsy destination, introducing the murals of the great Ukrainians, important historical events and people’s cheerful spirit. Here are the most incredible examples.
The portrait of Yuri Gagarin
Since 2013, one of the Kharkov’s central avenues is decorated with the portrait of Yuri Gagarin, who was the first people in the world to journey into outer space (April 12, 1961). The author of the mural Palval Andrey purportedly used more than 500 aerosol cans of 40 different colour shades to finish the project. Its definitely worth it; the art piece was included in the record book of Ukraine.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Haharina Ave, 33, Kharkov, Ukraine
A post shared by Yana Yagnichenko (@chocoscorpion) on May 7, 2016 at 6:46am PDT
The Blue Moon mural is the masterpiece of Arsek & Erase, created in the framework of the festival Mural Fest. This eye-catching painting is made in the watercolour style. However, such beauty comes with pain: The artists came to Ukraine in November 2017 and had to spend several days under the cold heavy rain to bring this mural to life.
Yur’ivs’ka St, 7, Kharkov, Ukraine
A post shared by Arsek & Erase (@arsek_erase) on Dec 28, 2017 at 9:13am PST
This surreal mural is just a fantasy of artists, while locals have given it another name – a Dissected House. One can see the various parts of the picture opening up the personal space of the inhabitants of the house. It took the creative group Kailas-V one month to complete the street art object, timed to the City Day. Besides, it is located in front of the Metallist Stadium – the major attraction of the Kharkov.
Plekhanivs’kyi Ln, 3 Kharkov, Ukraine
A post shared by SuperMural. Ukraine. StreetArt (@supermural) on Dec 24, 2017 at 4:01am PST
If you’re still wondering how to make dull Soviet high-rise buildings look attractive, the artist Palval Andrey has an answer. He decorated the series of facades with bright murals of birds, which we can spot in our while strolling the park. For instance, there are owl and finch paintings at the eighth floor level so that the top point of the image is 20 meters (65 feet) above the ground.
Oleksandrivskyj Ave, 69, Kharkov, Ukraine
A post shared by Kharkiv Street Art (@kharkiv.streetart) on Jan 22, 2018 at 1:34am PST
Klavdiya Shulzhenko was a Soviet singer and actress born in Kharkov who earned the honour as the People’s Artist of the USSR. One of the murals depicts her holding a poppy flower, as a symbol of the memory of those killed in the Second World War. She went to the front quite often during the war, performing for the soldiers. Klavdiya Shulzhenko was a woman with a big heart. Thus, it’s not surprising that her portrait appeared on several walls of the city’s buildings.
Moskovs’kyi Ave, 97, Kharkov, Ukraine
A post shared by харьков ✌ (@valentina.olkhovskaya) on Nov 3, 2017 at 10:21am PDT
In the very city centre, one can discover an amazing mural of Leonid Bykov. The Soviet actor and film director was studying in Kharkov and starting his acting career at the Ukrainian Drama Theatre, located on the same street. Meanwhile, the art piece on the wall depicts the scene from Only Old Men Are Going to Battle – a legendary film every Ukrainian knows.
Perhaps the most well-known person across Ukraine is great Ukrainian author and painter Taras Shevchenko. Therefore, the creation of the portrait was dedicated to the 200th anniversary of his birth in 2014. For the project, the artists from the well-known Kailas-V studio used around 900 bottles of spray.
Sadovyi Passage, 30, Kharkov, Ukraine
A post shared by Elena Ya (@elena_yakshyna) on May 17, 2016 at 3:01am PDT
The Ukrainian Motanka Doll
This mural was one of the first wall paintings in Kharkov. It features the motanka doll, which is considered to be a traditional Ukrainian charm. The creation took place in 2013 as a collaboration of the local studio and French artists Julien Malland (aka Seth) during the festival of French Spring, organized by the French Institute in Ukraine (Institut français d’Ukraine).
Poltavskyi Shliakh St, 114, Kharkov, Ukraine
A post shared by харьков ✌ (@valentina.olkhovskaya) on Nov 3, 2017 at 4:10am PDT
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.