From handmade jewelry to beachwear, hand-illustrated silk scarves to handmade terrariums, Istanbul’s designer scene is constantly growing. We picked out our favorite designers creating their own line of beautiful objects.
Sisters Pınar Yegin and Deniz Yegin İkiışık create surreal worlds on the surfaces of Rumisu silk scarves through their illustrative worlds. You’ll find spaceships taking off, safaris at their wildest peak, and Moby Dick’s whale coming up for air. With the silk sourced from Turkey and printed in Istanbul, the designer sisters also utilize handmade crochet charms with participants of a United Nations Development Project supporting female entrepreneurs in Southern Anatolia.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
If handmade leather and canvas goods are your thing, then Envanter Heritage will definitely peak your interest. Can and Gaye Dağlı make all their goods in their home workshop in Kadıköy, including beautiful wallets, leather key chains, bags, iPad cases, and pencil holders. The two designers are constantly rolling out something new, so make sure to follow them closely.
Hamburg born designer Banu Kent befittingly chose a German name for her collection of gorgeous jewelry designs. Der Liebling serves up an ethnically inspired aesthetic, including pendants in the shape of stag horns, simple rings that respect the natural shape of their stones (tourmaline or opal), and hoop earrings inspired by Indian goddesses.
Another designer sister team, Bornn Enamelware was created by Öykü Thurston and Başak Onay, who produce unique tableware that uses natural and marbling techniques on porcelain surfaces. A contemporary approach to classic enamelware, you’ll find both basic dishes and cups with bold colors as well as darker-colored collections inspired by the drip painting technique.
Model Ezgi Bozkurt and dancer Buse Uğur translated their daytime talents into 5thposition, a line of women’s swimwear that speaks of flowing forms and freedom of movement. Having sewn her own dance suits for years, Uğur’s inclination to create bathing suits was the natural next step. You’ll find sexy cuts in bold colors that are anything but usual.
Designers Deniz Yurtkuran and Merve Tatari were inspired by nature when creating NYKS, their unique collection of organic candles in handcrafted copper holders. Made from olive oil from Adatepe, the candle fragrances are derived from plants obtained from all over Turkey and include mint, thyme, bay leaf, pine, lavender, cedar, bergamot, rosemary, and green mandarin. They’ve also recently begun to produce beautiful copper cocktail shakers, mirrors, and teakettles so make sure to follow their latest collections.
Another lover of nature, Gülriz Sansoy creates beautiful terrariums under the name Müz that are like little contained bits of wild nature, which urban dwellers have come to appreciate greatly. Within the geometric glass and metal objects, various succulents live alongside natural stones and sometimes even a mini animal sculpture.
Güliz Mustafaoğlu gave up her job as a set designer to focus on her true passion: beautiful geometric and asymmetric jewelry. Yuka Studio‘s unique creations include spherical earrings with lapis lazuli stones, gold-plated geometric rings with matching bracelets, and hand woven pendants (among many others).
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.